won’t make this a regular thing, but I wanted to post this first one. This is a 3/4 size violin with a beak in the tuning peg box. The break was clean and simple to fix with glue. Epoxy was used because the break line went Right through a tuning peg hole. One clamp held everything perfectly in place while the glue cured. Just reiterating that these are student rental instruments. The idea is o keep them playable. In this case the repair is nearly invisible, but this will not al...
Heads up! It’s been a while since I built my wife’s 3 string mountain dulcimer. I’ve been promising to make a 4-string for several years. As I write this, I’ve already started cutting wood. I hope to have it done for Christmas. I’ll be posting a build series as well, chiefly because I want to translate it into Esperanto. I’ll have to make a hard case for it as well. ;-)
(This is not posted as a project because I felt it was just an experiment, I’m not completely happy with the result and I didn’t put finish on it.) The pile of wooden blocks that I got as cast offs from the pre-school at my church has been living in a box on my floor. It’s been tasking me. Today I decided to give a try of creating a musical wood block from a block of wood.I simply chucked a 3/8 inch bit in my drill press and set the depth and a fence as a guide. The...
Before I started on the Persimmon Woodblock Percussion Instrument project, I did some research on the tone of persimmon wood. I had never made an instrument of any kind and hadn’t ever heard of persimmon being used, but what I found was encouraging. Here is a link I found to a long list of wood types and some notes about their tone. I was going to use the persimmon either way, but I did find the information in the list interesting.
Started this guitar project for a friend of mine that has a band in Nashville. It is taking a while since I work offshore 4 weeks on and 4 weeks off. The body is curly maple and wenge laminate. The top plate will be wenge with purple heart accents. Doing all the electronics (except the pickups) myself. Here are the raw materials Neck glue up Shape of things to com. Used a band saw to cut general shape. Spoke shave and rasps for the final shape. Getting the c...
Hello. It has been a while since I last had a project build on this site, but I think my next build will make up for the silence. I am currently planning and ordering hardware for an electric banjo. A few months back I started playing the banjo and have really been enjoying it. I have also wanted to make a musical instrument for some time now. After jamming with some folks on my banjo playing along to pop, rock and folk music I thought an electric banjo might make a nice fit. So I began...
I have not made an instrument for a while, and some would say I have not built one this time either… My son has done a video demontrating the tuning, setup and playing of a strumstick. Squaring up the strumstick blanks On another WW Forum a while ago there was a post about building a Dulcitar or sometimes called strumstick. I said it would be cool to make a few of these for some fun. Not too much work, but a chance to hone the luthier skills for a change. I read the plans ...
Time, just now, doesn’t allow many words to describe this process. It’s my first attempt an an acoustic guitar. I hope I have taken enough photographs to tell the story. Other than the spruce soundboard, much of the instrument is made from bits and pieces from the shed. Ah yes, I started to make jigs five years ago! This is why I made the thicknessing sander! To Part Two
In this series, I’ll be building a simple cigar box guitar. You can see just how simple by comparing it to a proper instrument – Randall Price’s tenor guitar, for example. It’s a “through neck” design, meaning the neck goes all the way through the body, and only it counteracts the tension in the strings. The box is non-structural; it just looks good, and serves as a resonating chamber. The first step is to mill up a neck blank, then use it to lay out ...
Here are some images of the neck with the clamps removed. The fingerboard is glued on with some titebond II. One thing that I didn’t do that was on the example on the website that I am following is a spar in the neck. The 2024 aluminum that I found was $50 for a 3’ piece. Too much for me. So I left that piece out and we will see what becomes of it. If there is a noticable problem for me, I can always make another neck or just make a 2nd version of the banjo with the necessa...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1815 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 130 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1840 entries
- dbhost - 448 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 322 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 265 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 253 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 222 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- bandit571 - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries