I worked late enough last night I didn’t get to updating the blog until this morning. There were a couple pictures still on the camera for the prior day’s work. I got the template done and located it on the lid. After a few passes with the router, I had a recess. The lid is only 5/16 thick to start with and the recess is 3/16 deep. I trimmed the ironwood to size and rounded the corners. Then I applied glue and clamped them up for the night. The last thing I...
Started to build the RoseBud inlay that will go on the lid of the Bubinga and Purple Heart jewelry box. For this inlay I am using maple, yellow heart, rosewood, and kauri. Tomorrow I am going to do some sand shading to give the inlay a 3D effect. Should be pretty cool… P.S. The only down side to sand shading is the wood can sometimes stink and yellow heart is one of the worst!!! It is almost as bad as zebra wood… not quite but almost!!! Now that I’m finished with...
I am in the process of building five different jewelry boxes as showcase pieces for a business I am trying to launch. All of the boxes are mirror images of each other except I used different types of wood on each one. This picture shows how the boxes looked a few days ago. Notice the one in the back with the TurtleSoup inlay??? Each box is getting its own decorative inlay built on it because that is what EZInlays.com sells, kits that will allow the average (and trust me on this my sk...
Hi Everyone! It’s been a wonderful time filled with family, visitations, luncheons and dinners … all in celebration of my Dad’s 93rd Birthday!! But now our company has gone back home … the dust has settled … and I’ve finally returned to some serious time in the workshop. Finishing off Nouveau Gal’s hair means this main front panel for my wine box is complete! At the same time Nouveau Lady got her hairdo done too … so I could work o...
Back in 2009 when my “woodworking as a hobby” life was just getting started I became interested in veneering and marquetry. Problem was I knew nothing about marquetry so I used a set of router bushings made for inlaying and adapted a style of marquetry cutting with them. One of my early projects was a couple of doors for a new desk to fit a little nook in my home office. The text accompanying the project post says ” I will improve” so I guess the time has co...
When Daniel and I made the guitar, we used the Festool MFS adjustable rectangle router template (if you’re price conscious, here's how I built a similar jig for cheap) to build the jig to do the inlays in the fretboard: First as a slot with rounded ends into whcih we put a glued-up strip we'd made on the router table, second as little squares with rounded corners that we cut clean with a chisel. But at some point I was hanging around Alembic and they had an amazing instrument on the ...
Watch and learn how to make a picture frame with diamond inlay banding. In Part 1 of this woodworking series the woodworker demonstrates of to use a mallet and a chisel to create the mortises of the decorative wooden pyramids. This hand tool work takes place at each miter joint of the picture frame. Once the mortises are made, the woodworker will then have a reference points of where the diamond wood inlay banding will begin and finish. The wooden pyramids are not glued in at this time....
This is a project from a Fine Woodworking article. Sept/Oct 2009 #207, page 70 by Garrett Hack. I am learning how to do inlay. So far I have found that sharp tools are a must. Good light with a magnifying glass are necessary for my relatively old eyes. This is small detail work. I started with a drawing to determine dimensions for an inlay on the top face of a table leg.After I was happy with the drawing, I carefully laid out the dimensions and cut the recess 1/8” deep. Most of the...
I purchased this blank at Metro Hardwoods in KC for about 38$. I cut it in half against the grain and turned each piece. The inside corner of the wood had a place where the bark had curled around and wrapped itself inside the wood, so when I turned the bowl there was a rather large void which carried through the piece. I taped the outside up good and used black sand and thin CA to fill. I laid copper dust in on top of that and sanded. This was done three times until it got to level. The ou...
I gave up on finishing this checkerboard project in time for Christmas, and then I was out of commission with a bad chest cold for another three weeks. Once I was back to 100%, I got to work finishing my White Oak Bookcase project. Now it’s time I got this one back on track. The last thing I had done on this project was to glue up all the squares for the top. I did half of the board at a time and then used my biscuit joiner to join the two sections together. I put in some time ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1794 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 116 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 82 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1819 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 242 entries
- Dave Rutan - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 211 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries