I’ve made a lot of progress on the chair in the last few days, although I’m at one of those points in the project where the progress isn’t easily apparent. One thing I had to do was spend a few days re-bending or replacing a few of the seat and back slats because they either hadn’t bent well the first time around, or had cracked too much. Fortunately with steam bending the effective is somewhat cumulative, so a second bending cured those ills. I also cut and shape...
I got less time in the workshop than I would have liked today—trivial life things like putting up the Christmas tree and watching Kansas City annihilate the Redskins (sob!) kept interfering. Still I got time in to work on a few things. I got the second set of slats steamed and bent. The first set came out of the steamer with some mysterious stains. I’m not sure why, but I read somewhere on the Internets that the minerals in tap water can sometimes stain. So for this set I use...
I completed the mechanism for the inside of the box lid and fit it to to canvasse boards that it will hold. I believe they are 12”X9? I built the cover for the top out of baltic birch ply and chamfered the edges to make it a bit more sleek. I put my artistic abilities to the test and printed off a quote from the English illustrator Arthur Rackham. I made sure the font was something attractive but would still be easy to burn. I printed the quote out and taped it to graphite transfer...
When I started woodworking I have three aims. achieve make beautiful boxes in wood and with mechanisms.This is because when I was a kid I loved them.My grandma had a box that my uncle made, and I never tired of playing with it. Now, my grandma and uncle had passed away, this box belongs to one of my cousins (I have 42) This is the box that started it all You can notice that this is a two parts box. The upper side has a mechanism to open the lid (that will be another entry of this blog),...
It has been a while since I shared the progress on our box. So here it is Previously on Box series #2 I have cut all my pieces for the 2 inside panel of the box And shaded them For todays episode, there is first the background cutting. It starts with glueing the design on the packs. The packs are a backer-board 3mm thick, grease paper, 4 layers of bloodwood sawn veneer, a front board and the design on top. The background is cut on the chevalet Like ...
It is time to do shading on those 2 first panels. The first thing I do is put the sand to heat. We have a cast iron pan on a 1500W hot plate containing about 2 inches of very fine sand. Second thing I do the shading map. When I do it home at night, while watching TV I do get a little more artistic like for the Treasure box series #1 Here I did it at work and was more practical The main action in shading is diping Depending on the species of the wood and t...
I am well into my project now, as you can see I have made the table top and had the legs professionally turned and now I am ready to construct the table and finish it. The lines of the soccer field were done by using a 10mm straight cut router bit and moving along a fence for a straight cut, 10mm deep. Then strips of jarrah were cut 10mm wide and 13mm thick to insert into the grooves. All worked out perfectly! Now I plan to make a wooden soccer ball (truncated icosahedron) to displ...
I’m not sure how this is going to work out online, here is the second Chevy in my plywood line up, in a much simpler layout, but just as reliable and very strong. Birch Plywood is an ideal medium to use for this kind of project due to its multi layered higher density form, but you could use good quality exterior ply which is slightly cheaper if the former is unavailable. First pictures straight out of CAD gives a view of the basic outline of what are basically a pair of si...
Well at long last I greet you all with the last blog on this Marquetry Wine Box Saga!! Keeping my 93 year old father company (these past two day) while he recovers from a nasty lung infection, has given me ample opportunity to catch up on computer stuff. And now I can devote a few relaxing hours to the composition of this final blog! Hummmmm … you’re right Mike ... Nouveau Gal does look a bit ‘sly’!! And yes … I promise to get some better pics of her ...
Gosh Darn Everyone … that was pretty mean of me to leave you all in suspense like that!! But pressing the main Art Nouveau design onto the front of the wine box turned out absolutely fine … and better yet … I found those missing photos relating to the other 3 panels!! BUT ... before I get farther into this blog I’m wondering if anyone out there has had a window jump up in front of them while on this particular site stating: ”Warning … Visiting this site...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1793 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 116 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 82 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1818 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 242 entries
- Dave Rutan - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 211 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries