Practicing marquetry for my next box. It’s been awhile for me, so figuring out which style and color of veneers to use can be the hardest part, just getting started. This design took me about three weeks to come up with and will to be used for the top of a Gem Box that I am working on. Cutting out the Pearl and Abalone and inserting into this practice piece top was a little time consuming but very enjoyable. Using basically the Window Method, cutting out the sharp corners where th...
After seeing a few of my other veneer works, I was approached to make a Red Sox wall hanging for someone to give as a gift. Seeing as how I am still looking for more experience on this marquetry kick I’m on, I decided to go for it. Now, I’m not a fan of Baseball period, so don’t let this logo make you think I’m a Red Sox fan. We decided on a rather large size of 24”x24” overall, which will be more beneficial to me for the small pieces that needed cutting...
As a furniture maker of a few years time, I realized something important about my work. Oftentimes my clients wouldn’t notice the extra work I had put into pieces. Some times they noticed things that were just so automatic for me that I barely thought of them and they missed the really fine work I had done somewhere else! My realization was that I had to pick my moments on some pieces. Sometimes I needed to do the extra work to make it just so, whether or not the client would see it. Other...
2 night ago, I was able to re-cut some of the letters in an effort to not have any broken pieces. The S and W continued to split on me, but I was able to get a nice M, A, and B so I will count it as a success. Last night was fairly productive. I was able to use my router with a 1/4” bit to cut a dado in the 4 sides of the frame to accept the plywood bottom. The 2 shorter sides had to be stopped dadoes so that they would be hidden when the frame is assembled. Once I cut the dad...
Here’s a couple more pics of the progress I’ve made. I glued some veneer around the edges to fill in the gap between the fancy stuff and the edge where the board will transition into the sides. Then it was onto a lot of sanding. What I hadn’t expected was the dust from the Rosewood to stain the maple while sanding. So I sanded it down as good as I could without going through the veneer and then used a cabinet scraper to finish it off. I think it came out really nice and I ca...
My mom approached me about doing something for my father for Father’s day. Only requirements were that it was to be something for their boat, and that it have the boat’s name on it. Other than that, I had complete creative freedom. I came up with the serving tray idea since they frequently prepare food down in the galley and have to bring it to the back deck for eating, and they currently just use some plastic serving tray. For the design, I decided that a prominent Compass ...
By Joshua Farnsworth (Writer at WoodAndShop.com) This above video is a continuation of my amazing recent visit, with my family, to the Frontier Culture Museum in Staunton, Virginia. Click here to see the previous video and photos. Steven Gallagher took time to give me a tour of his mid-19th Century tool chest. I love old tools, so this was like Christmas for me! We also had a really great time talking about handle making. I was surprised to see that he uses the same method...
Since I posted my bentwood ring tutorial video I got a lot of emails and messages on how to do an inlay for them. Since I had to make one with a guitar string I made a video of it. The picture isn’t quite clear as it is taken with an phone (I will try to make a better one soon and post it here) but as you can see it is a Walnut ring with 0.45 bass guitar string. Hope this will clear out some things for you and persuade you to try this technique.http://youtu.be/SXkcadAlErc Than...
It’s been hard to get any long stretches in the workshop lately, but when I look back I’ve actually accomplished quite a bit. After bending the arms for the chair, the next step was to inlay the compass roses. (In retrospect, I might have been better off fitting the arms to the chair and then inlaying the roses rather than the other order.) I marked a reference point on each arm and then taped down the stars to keep them from moving and carefully marked them onto the arm. ...
I’ve made a lot of progress on the chair in the last few days, although I’m at one of those points in the project where the progress isn’t easily apparent. One thing I had to do was spend a few days re-bending or replacing a few of the seat and back slats because they either hadn’t bent well the first time around, or had cracked too much. Fortunately with steam bending the effective is somewhat cumulative, so a second bending cured those ills. I also cut and shape...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1558 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1583 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 395 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 275 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 188 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 175 entries