This is so stolen from Geoffrey Noden of the AdjustABench. He demo’ed this at the Wood Show and Karson blogged about it. I thought it was pretty cool, and since it is not on the market yet, I thought I would make my own. Not sure what I was doing, I made what looks like a paper cutter. The arm rides between two longer sides to keep it stable and square. It is about two feet long. The cutter bar is hinged with a bolt so that it is level when it is 3/4 of an inch above the base. This let...
I just got back from the Baltimore (Timonium) Wood Show, and as I was walking down the last aisle after visiting with LJ member Chuck Bender. I noticed this gentleman sitting on a stool doing some strange things with wood. His name is Geoffrey Noden. Geoffrey in the man that has his name on the Noden AdjustABench It was in his booth that his wife was looking after the Adjust a bench and he was sitting at a stool in front of this tool. What this tool does is cut patterns in wood are then...
Here it is. My next video… finally! I feel like I got over a lot of learning curves on this one. I found this a particularly challenging subject to present because router inlay can get involved and there are often several ways to go about the different steps. Trying to cram all that into a video, however, is more likely to discourage folks from trying router inlay. My goal in this video was to present the essential knowledge and skills that one can start building on, thereby remo...
I can’t emphasize enough how important it is to take this part slowly. There are no shortcuts that leave you with a great inlay! Most commercial veneer is thin, 1/42nd or so. So you don’t have a lot of room to work with, once you’ve inlaid the compass rose. That means you need to make sure your inlay surface is ready to go. I used this maple panel with a little bit of curl to it. This has been pre-sanded to 320. You start by solidly taping down the inlay in i...
I decided to dress up one of the serving trays I’m making with a compass rose inlay. I used the excellent instructions of Mike Henderson. I used Walnut and figured (birdseye) Anigre veneer, and I’ll be inlaying the rose into a curly maple raised panel. I have most of the tools Mike mentioned, but I created some others, like a veneer cutting board, a cheap MDF 22.5 degree triangle. I also created a ‘veneer jointer’ out of some sandpaper and plywood. I...
I’m already a bit into this project and I’ll be nibbling at it for several months. Here’s a recap of what’s happened so far:This is what it will ultimately look like. We’re not particularly big wine drinkers, so a small bay will just about hold our entire stock of booze. I haven’t decided what to do with the doors, but this got me far enough for a cut list on the carcase and veneers. The point of this project is a.) to showcase some Pangapanga that the ...
I made some good progress today and it looks like the next time I can spend a decent amount of time in the shop, I should have this thing assembled. I started today sanding the three brackets and the aprons in preparation for assembly. I noticed a decent sized dent in the face of one of the aprons and decided to try out the wet rag and iron method to raise the dent. I forgot to get pics, but it worked like a charm. As I was sanding one of the end brackets and looking at the inlay that h...
I was able to get the purpleheart inlay done on the end brackets. To make the curved purpleheart pieces, I used the template for the end brackets to trace a line on a piece of purpleheart then cut it out on the band saw. After sanding to the line on the disc sander, I traced a line 5/16” from the edge and cut that out on the band saw. I then attached the piece with the inside curve to the movable fence on my drum sanding jig so the curved strip could pass by the sander with a l...
I finally got around to working on the console again and I’m now jumping in with the inlays and edge banding the top to cover my biscuit mistake. I cut some strips of walnut and purpleheart to about 7/8” wide and 3/8” thick that would get sanded down to 1/4”. Since I don’t have a thickness sander, I tried out a jig I saw in an old FWW magazine to use a drum sander on the drill press to accomplish the same task on thin strips. The jig is simply a fixed bo...
Well, I am in the process of my first attempt at a guitar, and I have decided to go with Walnut to build it out of. I am designing it somewhat similar to a Les Paul, but I am putting my little twists on it here and there. As they say, when it rains it pours. I guess that applies here as well. Because I attempted my first inlay today. It isn’t perfect and there are some spots that need a little filler but I think for my first attempt I did fairly well. I first sawed off a coupl...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1600 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1625 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 279 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries