Some time back, members of the Wanapam tribe, here in North Central Washington, bought a couple of my walking sticks. As well, they expressed interest in a unique one I’m currently working on. Meanwhile, the Wanapams opened are really nice interpretive center, which I had the pleasure of touring. In the course of that tour, I saw many photographs of work being done on hides, dug outs, various activities and so on. The visit to the Center inspired to create some of the things I s...
I wanted to share my video with everyone here on a project I am working on. The main detail is a cherry blossom inlay at the footboard (in the video) and headboard (soon to be part of the bed build video). Each piece was cut out by hand using a fret saw and set into place using a 1/16” straight router bit. Let me know what you think. The main headboard panel is 5” x 20” and took 63 hours to complete. The piece in the video is 2.5” x 5” and took about 27 hours...
I felt like embellishing the doors a bit so today I milled up some leopard wood and made some fall leaves to inlay into the doors. I used a router bit used for a CNC that was 1/16” thick at the end to get into the tight spots and a 3/16” bit for the rest. I cut out the design and taped them in place to see if I liked it. I then traced out the leaves and routed out a recess for them and glued them in place. I then made a stem and did the process again. I finished them off with a fe...
A neighbor of mine gave me this table as he is not a woodworker and felt he did not have the skills to refurbish it. So now I have another project. The table has no commercial markings on it so I feel that it was home made some years ago, maybe 50 years ago but I have nothing to base my estimate on. At any rate the table looked interesting enough that I will make an attempt at fixing it up but I am looking for a lot of advice and suggestions from anyone. My first ste...
For the letter pattern, I started with a Medusa font. I had to modify it quite a bit to work with my 1/8” router bit. . I then sliced some veneer from the wenge. The veneer cuts were just over 1/16” and ended up at about 0.040” after sanding. I let the wenge be a little thicker. . I printed out the pattern in reverse and glued it to what would be the back side of the veneer. The process was: . 1. Cut the pattern with my scroll saw and cleaned it up with som...
Sorry – no pictures on this one. They will show up in the next post. Just a brief introduction to this project. . My brother and sister-in-law have a gift exchange we do. It is not tied to any holiday or schedule. When we are ready to exchange – it happens. If not, wait until the next time we get together. . One requirement is that the gift is handmade (at least mostly). Another is that it follow a theme. These are drawn from an idea box after the previous gifts are ex...
I just completed a video that shows How to Flatten Veneer using hot aluminum plates. This really is an amazing technique! I am very impressed by how well it works. My friend Tom Schrunk showed me this technique and he was nice enough to participate in the video with me. I did upload a very short video from the Handworks event, but that was just kind of a quickie. I really put a LOT of effort into this one! I tried some new things in this video and it would really help me to know wha...
Last time I posted I had glued down the boxes bodies with the inside already french polished I worked on gluing the marquetry panels to the trimmed to size lid My favorite moment is when you see it glued down right way up for the first time, it appears slowly while you remove the paper This glueing of the marquetry on both side had to be precise has they had to be perfectly centered as well as the right way up as when you open the box the owner will appreciate to g...
Having had my “road to Damascus” moment, the realisation dawned on me that although I had just had a world beating business idea; I in fact had absolutely no way in which to achieve its fruition. After all, here was I with no tools at all, other than a very worn Phillips screwdriver, a decrepit claw hammer, a knock-off 12mm Marples “blue” bevelled chisel (with sides that could only be described as having been ground using the kerb) and a rather cheap and nasty ¼” drive socket set missing the ...
Where to start? At the beginning I suppose. Well, not the very beginning as that would entail going all the way back to a rather dreary wet Tuesday afternoon (and it was, I’ve checked) in an equally dreary and dank tenement building in Glasgow in 1968. For you dear reader I think perhaps that that may be a little too far and not very interesting and it would also be definitely far off the mark, as far as the subject of this tome to come is concerned, as could be. So, I guess I will begin s...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1736 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 98 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 78 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1761 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 410 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 303 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 239 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- robscastle - 216 entries
- stefang - 215 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Dave Rutan - 210 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries