Having had my “road to Damascus” moment, the realisation dawned on me that although I had just had a world beating business idea; I in fact had absolutely no way in which to achieve its fruition. After all, here was I with no tools at all, other than a very worn Phillips screwdriver, a decrepit claw hammer, a knock-off 12mm Marples “blue” bevelled chisel (with sides that could only be described as having been ground using the kerb) and a rather cheap and nasty ¼” drive socket set missing the ...
Where to start? At the beginning I suppose. Well, not the very beginning as that would entail going all the way back to a rather dreary wet Tuesday afternoon (and it was, I’ve checked) in an equally dreary and dank tenement building in Glasgow in 1968. For you dear reader I think perhaps that that may be a little too far and not very interesting and it would also be definitely far off the mark, as far as the subject of this tome to come is concerned, as could be. So, I guess I will begin s...
I have been carry on working on the boxes with a 2 weeks pause for our february teaching session at the American School of French Marquetry. Great class, here are some pictures More here Anyway. Before the class started I had to finish the inside of the boxes with French Polish, before the room was taken over by the students. There is different way of holding the pieces with nails bent in places Or with small wood blocks I like to have it lay out...
I start out by creating a template for the oval fan medallions that will be recessed into the front of the leg. I then work on the recesses for the banding that will go on the rails. The banding on the legs at the top must match the rails exactly, and I show how I accomplish this. Then it’s cutting for the banding on the legs, along with additional stringing that will be on the front of the legs. I wrap it all up by gluing all the banding and string inlay into the legs and the rails. As al...
First I work on making the “pillars” for the architectural details in the front of the hutch. Then I carve the “foundations” for the pillars with a chisel. I cut the top to size, and using the router table, I form the decorative edge. Again, I use a router to cut the groove for the inlay, glue the inlay in, flush them to the surface as with the drawers and attach the top. I also show how I fix a pretty big mistake when I was cutting the inlay. As always, I welcome your questions and commen...
In this video, I start by selecting some beautiful figured crotch walnut for the drawer fronts. I resaw the board and then bookmatch the pieces so the “flame” of the figure radiates out from the center of the drawers. I also spend some time cutting and installing inlay in the drawer fronts, build the 6 drawers and then fit them to the openings. As always, I welcome your questions and comments! http://youtu.be/qRlSB-sJtyo
Well after many hours in my cold shop and a couple of trips to my neighbor’s cabinet shop, the table top is ready for finishing. I have to thank my neighbor, who owns a home remodeling company, for offering me the use of his cabinet shop. It saved me probably two full days of flattening the top First, I glued up the top and then took it back to the cabinet shop to flatten and sand down to 150 on their massive 54” wide-belt sander. They also cut it to length for me on their A...
I changed my mind about the Christmas Wreath I was building for the Festival of Trees. Even though I built three sets of ornaments for a wreath I decided to skip the wreath due to financial issues. That doesn’t mean I didn’t still build and donate something to the event because I did! I just changed my donation from a wreath to a Christmas Decor item. Actually it was a pretty fun project as I first had to make tweaks to the Santa Hat. I like how the hat turned out mysel...
In part 1 of this project series I introduced the project and explained the inlay process on the front (or top?) of the music tray. In my excitement to make my first blog post I completely forgot about the mechanism on the back side of the tray that connects it to the center post and allows the tray angle to be adjusted. Today’s post will be about the mechanism I used to allow for angle adjustment. The third and final post will explain my process for building the center post and feet...
So today was pretty fun. It ended up being a successful day at the shop making the inlay lines I was going to use. So for starters, I glued up using my vacuum press 4 sets of veneer sheets. The first 3 were black/white/black, and the last one was white/white/brown/white. The first is going to serve as the main inlay lines for the outside of the box, and the second will serve as the inlay lines for the inside of the lid and box opening. So here are all the sheets I was going to be cutting up. ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1539 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 94 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1564 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 268 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 188 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 169 entries