After seeing Dick’s wonderful photos of the deer, I was reminded of my great photo opportunity of the summer. I’d never seen this creature before and was fascinated. Since my first sighting, I saw it three times. That was last month and I haven’t seen it since. These moths supposedly love honeysuckle and feed during mid-day. To me, they look like a cross between a hummingbird, a crayfish, and a bumblebee.
I now have 3 apron panels completed, so here are some pics of the progress. Things aren’t getting done as fast as I wish, but I have to take care of some spring yard chores, or else we’ll never get out to our cabin this summer. That’s the trials, and tribulations of having two places to live. Working on Hummingbird panel. There will be two Hummers, & two Roses. It got warm enough, so I was able to carve outside. I got some help from the neighbor cat. ...
With the inspiration from Daris and his post of his making of the hummingbird feeder from the book: “Easy to Build bird houses a natural approach”. I have built one with my modifications. Please check it out and I love comments! Thanks Daris for the inspiration. Chris
My Hummingbird Intarsia pattern arrived today, quicker than I thought it would, which is always a pleasant surprise. And I actually did take a couple pictures of it. First off, the pattern came from Judy Gale Roberts at www.intarsia.com. I ordered two patterns and they both came neatly packed in a nice mailing tube. The patterns came complete with instructions and an 8 1/2” x 11” color photo of how the finished project should look. The pattern itself is printed on a heavy tracing ...
Well, it’s finally done!! I have learned a lot making this project, probably the biggest lesson has been patience. Most of my projects don’t take this long to make so it has been a very different experience for me, but I will admit I’m hooked! This project has been challenging, at times frustrating, but it has been fun and I really did enjoy making it. I’m pretty sure Intarsia is definitely going to be a new direction in my wood working future. I finished it with fi...
Here was an easy project that I did recently; a Hummingbird Feeder. You only need one board for this project and it’s something you can build in a few hours. Here is my attempt at making a video of how I made it, and as always you can check out my website at: www.woodlogger.com to see more projects and videos of what I’m doing in the shop.
I started cutting the lower leaves out. I found a nice piece of poplar with a nice greenish grey streak going through it (The picture just doesn’t show the actual colors well) and thought that it would work nicely for the leaves. My day today is not quite working out the way I had hoped, so I’m not sure how much more I will get too today. I am hoping to get started on some leaf shaping, If I do I will post some more pictures. If you have any questions please feel...
My Wenge finally arrived yesterday, and I went straight to work! It’s frustrating looking at your project all weekend but not being able to progress on it. So now I’m happy again. I was able to get the beak together which was my major hold up because it is critical that the bird fits correctly before I can finish the frame. I did take the liberty during the down time to take part of the Lilly apart and reshape some of it, I simply wasn’t totally satisfied with my shaping ...
Unfortunately, the last week or so, it’s been very difficult for me to get into the shop to work on the hummingbird. But now I should be able to get back at it, the only set back now is when the Wenge wood I ordered gets here. I will not be able to finish the hummer with out it, but I can work around it until it arrives. The Wenge is only on the bird, so I will work on the Lilly flowers in the mean time. I was able to get the bottom leaves done and partial frame together yesterday. I...
The leaves are coming along nicely so far. I was able to get the leaves that are cut, 80% shaped. At this point I don’t want to completely shape them until I am a little further along. You may have noticed that I “Tack” glued the leaves together, I don’t think I explained this well in the previous post. I use Alleen’s Clear Jell Tacky glue for this purpose because it tends to come apart easier later on if I need to take something apart to refine the shape. The...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1792 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 115 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 82 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1817 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 241 entries
- Dave Rutan - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 210 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries