Well, it’s over. my first course in French marquetry, level one, ended yesterday and the consensus is that we all learned a lot. The students learned about French marquetry and I learned about teaching French marquetry. Thank you Len, Kendra, and Phil. I could not have asked for better, more enthusiastic first students.The topics covered were the making of grease paper and assembly of packets, cutting on the chevalets, assembly of motifs, filling with mastic and finally pressing to a...
A couple of weeks ago I got an unexpected package in the mail from my good friend Klaus (aka kiefer). Inside was a hand made veneer hammer with his signature open pattern handle. It is very well designed especially when you know he hasn’t done any hammer veneering. It features an offset handle which will be an advantage on larger jobs where both hands are on the hammer, a comfortable rounded head which works very well to get big pressure down on small projects using only one hand, an...
Unlike my previous blog posts, I intend to actually finish this series. Apologies to anyone who was left hanging until the project was posted on previous ones. Here goes nothing… These projects will be a bit more complicated than previous work that I’ve done. Additionally, these will be my first experience into working with Hot Hide Glue. I was able to pick up a Hold Heet glue pot and some hide glue from someone used for only $35. The first box that I will be making is going...
We did a new video on this hide glue series on a low-tech technique to veneer columns. Please comment it helps us progress in our videos and do not hesitate to ask question we will do a video to answer you.
While planning my first veneer marquetry experience I was a little worried about using hot hide glue to fasten the marquetry to the box sides of my project. I worried that the glue would cool too quickly before I could get it into the veneer press. I had read an article here about making your own liquid hide glue that could be used at room temperature and which had a very long open time. Realizing that this would eliminate any risk of the glue setting up too quickly before pressing I decid...
Well – as one can expect, there are always some unanticipated setbacks. Started off this morning, to glue the back together. First I carved grooves in the dowels, so that there would not be a problem with the dowel holes filling with glue and the back not coming together. I double checked the depths, and felt the 2 inch dowels I had cut might be long, so I trimmed them down by 1/8th inch. What I found… is I didn’t go far enough!!, so with hot glue spread, and...
Here is the new installment on our videos on Hide Glue. Many have asked us how they could save there Hot Hide Glue when they are not using it. Not like Old Brown Glue, Hot Hide Glue will rot in days if not cooked or frozen. It is not advised to freeze the all glue pot, so we usually dry the glue if we have to much In this case, we had taught classes for 2 weeks at the American School of French Marquetry and had 2 glue pots on the hot plates. The class finished, we were back at the works...
I read Shipwright’s 3 part blog on hot hide glue here for beginners. Here is a paraphrased summary of what he said: WILD CLAIM NO.1Hide glue is easy to use and not messy WILD CLAIM NO.2Hide glue bonds are stronger that the wood. Ok, there was a lot more info than this in Shipwright’s blog, but if you want to, after reading this blog, then go ahead and read it. Based on Shipwright’s advice, I bought dry hide glue granules, 4 kilos to be exact. I reckoned that based ...
Here is the final product http://lumberjocks.com/projects/83379 All in all I learned a lot and most importantly had tons of fun. I felt my skill level just about doubled with each piece I laid down. There are A LOT of things I would have done differently – including buying a veneer saw a lot earlier on. I picked up on a good tip shipwright posted in the comments on my first blog. There is a link to an awesome video by Patrick Edwards. My next veneer project will be a lot mo...
I assembled the box walls using hot hide glue rub joints. since I had a seamless fit, no clamps were used. I was going to shoot some brads for additional strength but decided against it. After it sat for a day, I could not pull this box apart as it was. Short of using a spreader or mechanical advantage, these joints were going nowhere. I then measured and cut the MDF for the top and bottom. After cut, I veneered what was to be the inside. One with the walnut I sliced on the bandsaw and one...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1696 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 92 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 69 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1721 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 403 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 287 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 232 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- stefang - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 204 entries
- robscastle - 196 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 191 entries
- Dave Rutan - 191 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries