A decorative molding to add to the cover. I’ve never seen one done like this so we’ll see if it works out.Here is one of the paper templates. .Clamping it proved somewhat of a challenge .And the one for the side .And a small cove molding for the skirt. This molding will hide a few sins of the fit. . . Up next… a ton of sanding and the finish of sprayed poly. I need to get this finished by Saturday…three days. Crunch time!
Today was some odds and ends and final assembly of the bridal chest. It’s not complete. I’ve got to get a little more maple to finish off with some moldings around the lid lip and the skirt. The stainless piano hinge is being mounted on the cover..Here you can see the hinge mounted to the chest along with an arm that locks the lid in a 90 degree open position.Also, I’ve made a box with divider out of maple that slides along the top inside of the chest..Here it is slid ove...
today i got the chest cover routed. This is a simple chest so I did a simple edge. A plain cove. .. . I braced the underside of the cover with maple cross pieces. Four recessed screws and glue. .tapered plugs will fill the screw head holes. I’ll chisel them off and sand them tomorrow after the glue dries. .I picked up a couple of boxes of aromatic cedar at home depot. Pretty expensive stuff I might add. It’s glued and pin nailed in. the pin nails of course are l...
In the previous installment I prepped the wood and glued it up. This time it’s a little after prep, box joints, and glue up. With the biscuit joiner the glue ups became pretty well aligned. I had to do just a little planing and scraping.. .The the old reliable ROS and mirk sandpaper to it. I find it easier to pre sand panels before assembly. Then redo and finish them up after. .After a little thinking, I made a box joint jig for my router. The sides are 3/4” thick and the...
My youngest daughter is getting married in September. I’ve decided long ago that i’d make each (I’ve got two) a bridal chest when that time came. Well it’s here and I’m doing it. I’ve made blanket chests before but they’ve been made with raised panels. This one is much simpler. Almost Shaker in nature for the design. It will have large finger or box joints at the corners. I think I’ll make a simple jig for my router to accomplish that. It will b...
Daughter #2 has “approved” the design of her hope chest. Here’s my rendered solid model…. I started from the same NYWS that I used for her sisters, but with the following skill builder changes: 1. outside edges will be joined with Lock Miter instead of tongue tenon and groove.2. rails and styles will be profiled and joined with a cope cut instead of mortise and tenon .3. panels will be raised and back cut instead of flat.4. feet will be cut with a taper, ins...
I am a co-chair for the Members Gallery at this year’s Furniture Society Conference. All Furniture Society members are invited to submit to the Members Gallery. Design, Community & Sublime Conference will be held at Maine College of Art from June 14-16,2012 in Portland Maine. The exhibition is a wonderful opportunity to show one’s work to your peers and other conference attendees. We encourage all Society members to participate. There is no fee to submit to Members Galle...
I have finished the shell of the hope chest for my daughter. I will now start on the inside fit and finish. I plan to use aromatic cedar for the bottom to give it a cedar chest feel/smell. My mortise joints on the frame and panels came out good but they will need some fine tuning with a scraper to get them even all the way across. The plan I am using called for a grove down each leg to receive the tongue on the styles and rails. If I did this again I would use a stop dado instead of ...
Hello everyone, I am a beginner in woodworking. I have made a couple of mantle clocks courtesy of a Wood Craft class. I am now attempting to make a Hope Chest for my daughter’s 16th birthday. The exterior is cedar and the base is Paduak(sp?). I made plugs of Paduak to cover the screws. To gain some weight and solidity I placed a piece of 3/4” plywood at the bottom. The interior is covered in aromatic cedar. I am now trying to find a good finish for it. I have experimented with ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries