Scandinavian workbench restoreMaking bench dogs. Time for bench dogs, the show must go on… First was to cut three pieces of wood into the right size.The bench dog holes total size and the length I choose to be app double the thickness of the bench top. On the left you see the only dog that came with the bench… I guess this dog cant bark a lot…So time to make some marking, now the shape comes and I simply follow the measures of the dog holes in the bench top. This time I use ...
Scandinavian workbench restoreFixing the front vice. This part is the repair of the front vice and yes making it run smooth as a dream.(Some call the front vice a face vice). We are back at the bench, now with hold fast and more or less ready to use.But my front vice is missing it’s pressure plate. The really old benches did not have one of these but mine has the slide for it so it will be replaced. Here again you can see the underneath how it is really just a clamp attached to the t...
Scandinavian workbench restoreHoldfasts and leather grip. This part is about the holdfasts and leather grip for the end vice. Yes we are back at the new workshop, at the old workbench.In the center is a wonderful old holdfast I bought in Paris some years back and I have been waiting to get the chance to bring into use.I will get back to this later. Because I also bought this one in France, yes and one more I use on my shaving horse but that is a different story.I think the corner of ...
This weekend I worked on a couple small projects, the first was a planing stop across the end of my bench. The planing stop is a piece ½” Oak with 2 threaded star knobs. I had these 2 threaded star knobs leftover from another project and they looked like they would work well.I gave some thought to where I wanted the knobs to be positioned. To give me a little more support while planing, I positioned the right knob (near the front of the bench) so that I would plane up against it. For me ...
Scandinavian workbench restoreOne legged dead man walking… Ok some awful undertones in that name…Actually it is just a simple dead man for the new old workbench. Just a long piece of wood, not sure but think teak. Marking the center line. Drilling holes for every two inch or five cm. And a little dowel that fits the holes with a cross dowel that makes it easy to pull out. Use the end vice to hold it. Get the idea? Now it is just to use it.I udsed it for pla...
Happy Mothers’ Day everyone! Finally got a chance to go back to my parents’ house for the weekend (i.e., the location of my shop). Went into the shop and this is what my bench looked like: Looks like my dad has been at work in the 2.5 months I’ve been away. No surprises there. I made a pair of holdfasts in a blacksmithing class last fall. When I made them, I tried to round them down to about 3/4”. Since they aren’t necessarily a standard size sha...
Today was a fun day! 1st up today was to put the holdfast holes in the legs. This started on the back side of the legs buy counterboring a 1-3/8 hole using a forstner bit. The depth of the counterbore is 1-1/2 inches and this leaves 3-1/2 inches of leg left for the holdfast to grab on to. The Grammercy holdfasts I have supposedly do not work well in pieces thicker than 4 inches. One of the holes lined up with a large knot that was filled with epoxy. You can see here just how far down ...
After a good day in the library, i decided to reward myself by gluing up one leg (it’s the only one with all 3 pieces dimensioned properly). I opted for the Schwarz’s gluing up accoutrement (part of a multi-grain cheerio box in my case) rather than my roller, as i didn’t want to wash it up after one use. Jury’s still out on the method. I did dare to change one piece of his advice, though, and i am throwing it out there for other beginners who find making jigs more inti...
I go over two techniques to get around with not having a tail vise. If you have other ways, feel free to share them in the comments.
I’ve been tired of seeing the traditional holdfast design. Seems as if they are all the same. I decided to change it up a bit and also try out a new technique. I would like opinions ax well. These are just a prototype. On a finished set the shaft will be rounded and the duckbill will be shorter. This is from 1” stock so it was harder to egg a nice twist. I believe 3/4” stock would look nicer and I could show the diamonds better. Do you all think there would be an interes...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1736 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 98 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 78 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1761 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 410 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 303 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 239 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- robscastle - 216 entries
- stefang - 215 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Dave Rutan - 210 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries