Now that I have the plan in place for the end marquetry there is a little housekeeping to be done with the drawers. The pull out ones in the centre column are straightforward and relatively easy so I have already glued the marquetry to them. The tricky ones are the cantilevered drawers in the side columns.When last seen they looked like this. They were glued up but had no bottoms. The bottoms will be 1/4” plywood veneered both sides with walnut and ebonized. Because the plywood c...
The Mystery Project continues…After the Handles were attached, more details had to be attended to…It needs to be said now, that one of the suggested and agreed upon features of this Project, is that it should have “Bands” around it… Think, Steamer Trunk, sort of…To that end, the Lid’s curve was transcribed on to the Cherry Slab… While at the hardware store, and chosen out of thousands, one of their finest “Thickness Describers” wa...
The lid separation went smoothly; mostly because the bottom was reasonably flat and sat square against the table saw fence. The only thing to clean up is the heavy burn marks on the lid side. The box side hasn’t got even a tiny mark. Why is that? The inside looks better than I have expected: the miters are tight and the corners are pretty clean. I have decided on butt hinges, the ones that have to be mortised into box and the lid; and, because the lid is heavy, a stop w...
Somehow things in our modern world have moved so fast that I think the craft, care and pride has become second to strictly making money off of dumbed down consumers. Tools, automobiles, furniture, so many things seem spit out of a robotic assembly line and tossed in our faces through constant visual media. The machine of the marketing world I think at most depends on our stressed out, overworked lifestyles to cave in and just except modern junk. It attempts to pacify our weary minds with f...
Still working on this project but due to a back injury I’ve had to slow waaaaay down on my projects, chores, just about everything. In fact, the only positions I could be in and be somewhat comfortable was either laying on my back or standing up. Carrying stuff and leaning forward or back is right out. And it’s been that way for 3 weeks. But, I am going to a chiropractor now and things are just starting to improve (but man it feels like I’ve been hit in the back with a 2...
In the last episode the latest box (a Bubinga type thing) was in the final stages… After cleaning up the top’s edges, some “reveals” were found, small separations in the miters of the top… I tried what I’ve heard about here so many times, making a slurry of the sawdust and wood glue, and applying it to the separations… The results were excellent!! When the project is posted in a few days, You can be the judge of where the reveals were! :)Anyway, wh...
So I made a decent pair of hinges, but when I placed them on the box, they looked a little big for the application… Well, I can’t enlarge the box very easily… So I guess I’ll just have to “shrink” the hinges!! It’s good that these are versatile, but it took a little extra work to achieve…The center/lid stop part had to have its hole re-sized (in order to become a slip-fit) and I thought it “Stuck out” a little too far… so...
Hello. With the lid finished, bottom in place and skirts glued on I can begin installing the hinges and the lock. All the hardware (excluding casters and lid chain) were bought from http://www.horton-brasses.com/ which is where Chris Schwarz got his hardware as well. So first off I began by installing the hinges. I placed the lid on the chest and got it into position and marked one side of each hinge on both the lid and top edge of the chest. Then I used the hinge itself to mark ...
How do you make a hinge and fit it in a box so that it looks like this when you are done? You Could Use This!...My Hinge Station or a Hack Saw .. Just Browsing? If you want to casually breeze through this just read the dark print and look at the pictures. For more serious readers, I have included details in the fine print. Economics: Price is a major consideration if you are making boxes for sale. I simply can’t afford to put $35 or more into a set of fine brass hinges and m...
I’m just going to let the pictures tell the story here. The only things I will say is that the template guide pin must be exactly the same width as the router bit used (6mm in this case) and the minimum hinge pin width is also dictated by the router bit used. This is the test run with a 115mm square x 6mm thick piece of MDF being routed. No, even I don’t trust the actual pieces I am working for a project to the first run with a new jig.The templates were marked out, using a knife,...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1466 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1490 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 236 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- shipwright - 198 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 197 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- stefang - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 177 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries