So after getting setup with a hot plate and an antique glue pot, I decide to try making an entire project with HHG. The reason that I decided to explore HHG in the first place was to use it to apply some veneer to a shadow box mirror frame so I decide to use it for the assemply as well. The shadow box will be square (40”x40”) about 4” deep with a 31” round mirror. I decided to use some 1/2” plywood instead of 3/4 to keep the weight down. The back is recessed ...
I posted a forum topic recently asking about the best way to attach some veneer to a project I am planning and one of the recommendations was to use hot hide glue (HHG). I’ve seen posts before from fellow LJs about how much they like using HHG and have been meaning to to give it a try so I decided this was a good excuse. I will share my journey in this blog. Step 1: Research. I spent a couple of days understanding the history, uses, pros and cons, tools and techniques. Of course...
The plywood version of my chevalet design is officially a success. It cuts really nicely, is solid as a rock, and can be put together considerably more economically than a solid wood model and with less woodworking experience. ...... but it looks like plywood. :-( Well it did until today anyway. The new owner of the prototype ( one of my recent students, Kendra) came over today and made a very good start on hammer veneering it with some pretty 1/16” mahogany. She hadn’t done a...
Here’s what I decided to make, more or less. I drew up some plans. I followed them pretty closely, but did change a few thicknesses of some of the stretchers. I red-lined them and will save them fro later. Plan of the chair back.Plan of the chair seat/legs, from the top.I glued up some blanks for the chair seats. Some people don’t like the “mismatch” of hickory, but I absolutely love it. The more contrast, the better, I think.I cut out two templates (the second o...
When I originally built the four new chevalets the school didn’t have an official name so I branded them with my usual cypher, PRM. Following the first round of classes last fall it became The Canadian School of French Marquetry so I decided to rebrand the chevalets. Here’s where it becomes a story about the virtues of hide glue. I was able to rehydrate the old glue holding the ciphers onto the chevy face plates and remove them without damage by applying hot water and driving i...
I already have an electric glue pot (HoldHeet) for heating my glue and an electric kettle with a glass jar for backup but for the school I want to be able to show as many options as I can so …..... I started cruising eBay last winter and was fortunate enough to win an auction for a fine old traditional cast iron glue pot for the princely sum of $17. The problem arose when I tried it out on the hotplate I use for my sand shading. Even at the lowest setting, the glue would reach in excess...
Glue potFinally getting hot in Copenhagen This is a little love story, so don’t expect an experts advice, just a grown up boy seeing things that amaze him.I will just show a few pictures on my way of restoring and bringing two old pots back to life here.As always I take my detours and a few of the pictures will not be sharp. ;-) So this was where it started back in 2012, I fell in love with a old glue pot and made my bid online.Judging from the photos the inner and outer pots were...
All right! Last stretch this week. We will have pro picture next week and I will post them for you guys as well of a video of the mechanism in action. But for now! Lets talk about french polish While finishing the fine sanding I have been pushing forward the pore filling and the polishing of the tray so it could be sent to LA for the leather. Then I started with the pore-filling of the all box. The top first with the pore filling of the outside and inside every other da...
Well, it’s over. my first course in French marquetry, level one, ended yesterday and the consensus is that we all learned a lot. The students learned about French marquetry and I learned about teaching French marquetry. Thank you Len, Kendra, and Phil. I could not have asked for better, more enthusiastic first students.The topics covered were the making of grease paper and assembly of packets, cutting on the chevalets, assembly of motifs, filling with mastic and finally pressing to a...
Hello, I had to stop working on the boxes for 2 weeks as we had classes here at the American School of French Marquetry. Great group But I am back to work on them now. First of all, all the banding is done.They are composed on 2 bone and an ebony string inlay plus an ebony band. The edges of the top are veneered with ebony first Then I cut with a veneer saw the inside marquetry to size and instal the banding The same is done for the sides It is...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1806 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 126 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 111 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 90 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1831 entries
- dbhost - 438 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 318 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 245 entries
- Dave Rutan - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- bandit571 - 201 entries