Some time ago I posted a blog about a dovetail joint I came up with. I call it the radial dovetail. It incorporates handcut dovetails, but rather than using the traditional 1:8 ratio for the dovetail angle for hardwood, each side of each tail varies and is drawn from a perspective point. Then the sides of the box were contoured to blend with the dovetail design. Here’s a picture of the nearly completed box. It is made of curly maple, Carribean rosewood, and hickory.I like to think of t...
Right after Christmas, my Grandfather asked me if I could make a Sewing box for his special someone. She loves to sew as much as we love to woodwork. During the building of the sewing box, the origional design had to be changed due to the knife hinge failure. They just couldnt hold up.. so after rethinking things a little. the final outcome turned out well and she loved the sewing box.. Here are two small videos showing the hinge issue as well as the outcome. YOu can go to my Projects...
I was gone much of yesterday, but I did manage to finish up my ornaments when I got home. I suppose that I was just too excited to leave them until the next day and couldn’t wait to see how they came out. I am really pleased with them and I hope that everyone else likes them too. After doing a final sanding on them, I dipped them in my usual mineral oil. I am finding this as my favorite method for finishing up fretwork and small pieces like this. It is quick and easy and doesn...
Recently I started a Hickory Chest Project. This chest will feature raised panels as well as a cedar lining. I have been videoing the build. To share with viewers who might like to watch. I’m right at the point of getting ready for the finish. But before i do, I want to pose a question to my fellow Lumber Jock’s… Here is a picture of the Chest. It has some cool features. ( beetle bore holes, knots, etc.) Id like to showcase in the project. With that being said. Here is my qu...
Hello. This weekend had I finished up my tailvise and made the bench dogs for my bench. I am currently making up a video to show you the tailvise, so when that is done in the next day or two I will post the finished vise. I made one dog for each hole in my bench. Aswell as a special dog that fits in the first hole in the tailvise for when I need to clamp work that would be to short otherwise. I have a thin strip glued with the grain in the opposite direction to give the extension...
I finally got back to doing some woodworking yesterday. I had finished drawing this pattern up last week and got it cut out, but it seemed that I was in several other directions the past several days and it was kind of woven in between all the other things I was doing. It is a simple design by my own standards, and I had mixed feelings about it. I find however that every design doesn’t have to be complex to be successful, and I think it will have a wide appeal. After seeing it fin...
Hi everyone. I first off want to say I am sorry it took so long to get back here. Between Facebook, Google plus and Youtube and my website http://www.asimpledesignofocala.com . I never made it back here to update this series. Well the Hickory Chest build went very well. It ended up being an eight video series from start to finish. The Hickory Chest featured Raised Panel construction and the chest was lined with cedar. This project started when a client asked me to build a blanket chest for...
I am still kind of slow today. It is funny how you go away for only a day and it takes you several to catch up again. I am not complaining though. It is good to be missed. Not only by the cats, but also by friends and others. It was funny but when I left on Friday morning, there was one email in my mail box. I was totally caught up on correspondence and getting back to people that I needed to talk to and all. When I got home, there were over 40 things there for me. About half of it was...
I had a chunk of hickory I had milled from a piece of firewood and a friend has a birthday coming up, so I thought I would try to make a wine bottle holder. I still need to sand it a little more and finish it. But I had to try it out last night after cutting the hole in it. I am going to give it a coat of BLO and then will probably apply some shellac.
Well it was now time to start making some sawdust, hopefully something would come of it in the end. I started by selecting a board that was about 7” wide to allow for a 4 1/4” and a 2 3/8” rip. Then starting at the beginning of the plan I transferred the board lengths to the piece and cut them to length allowing for an extra inch for adjustment. For the shorter pieces, I left them attached to a longer piece until I cut the dado slot to receive the inset. I numbered all...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1584 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1609 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 396 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 278 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries