Hello. This weekend had I finished up my tailvise and made the bench dogs for my bench. I am currently making up a video to show you the tailvise, so when that is done in the next day or two I will post the finished vise. I made one dog for each hole in my bench. Aswell as a special dog that fits in the first hole in the tailvise for when I need to clamp work that would be to short otherwise. I have a thin strip glued with the grain in the opposite direction to give the extension...
I was walking through the timber a month ago, and found a huge smooth bark hickory that had fallen from a storm. The trunk was 24” in diameter at its base, and 30 foot up the trunk it was 16” in diameter. When I saw it, I knew it just had to be milled. I already had a cherry that had fallen that was 20 foot tall and a foot in diameter. So, I called a sawyer that came and picked up one 6 foot and two 12 foot hickory logs, and one 5 foot and two 8 foot cherry logs. ...
Ahhh what a Bitter Sweet Weekend… Over the Past week, A Hickory tree fell on my Grandfather’s home.. So I loaded up my trailer and tools and a saw.. To help remove the tree and repair the damage.. That was the bitter side of this short story… On the Sweet side, I was able to haul the tree straight to the mill and the result was a very nice stack of beautifully figured Hickory boards…. Spent the day stacking and preparing to dry the wood… Looking forward to being ...
Right Click to DownloadRight Click to Download in HDSubscription Options My mom’s house is full of cabinet doors that were made in a Southwestern style and its time for a change. Replacing the cabinets is certainly an option and just replacing the doors alone would work too. But what if we could use our woodworking skills to modify the doors instead. In our situation, this turned out to be the perfect solution. So join me as I show you how to carefully modify and refinish my momR...
I needed a new handle for my hewing hatchet, I have way too many projects right now to build one so I broke down and shelled out the 6 bucks for one. I always sand off the finish on my handles so I can just apply oil, the tool just feels better that way. It removes the bugs too.
I finally got back to doing some woodworking yesterday. I had finished drawing this pattern up last week and got it cut out, but it seemed that I was in several other directions the past several days and it was kind of woven in between all the other things I was doing. It is a simple design by my own standards, and I had mixed feelings about it. I find however that every design doesn’t have to be complex to be successful, and I think it will have a wide appeal. After seeing it fin...
I really made good headway yesterday. Today I am in the home stretch of things and it is going to be really fun to see all four of these trays come together at once. I have never really done four at a time like this, but since they are all kind of different styles, it is rather exciting. I will get right down to business and show you where I am at with everything. I took pictures this morning, but nothing here is finished or even sanded for that matter. I do sand things to be pretty sm...
I made several of these for Christmas gifts this year. They aren’t difficult, and they seemed to be well received. They use a fairly small amount of material, so they may be the perfect project for that pretty little chunk of wood you just can’t throw away. Start with ¾” material. The blank for the dish is about 3” diameter, and the post is ¾” wide by about 3-4” long. Put the post blank on the lathe and use a roughing gouge to turn it round. Now...
There’s a new post on the Little Good Pieces Blog: “Turning Saw – Putting It All Together”. All the pieces finally come together to make a completed saw. Check it out! http://littlegoodpieces.wordpress.com/2010/12/14/turning-saw-putting-it-all-together/
Well, I’ve been absent from LJ’s for quite a while helping friends and relative’s around the state do remodel work on their homes. I thought I would share a couple things we worked on. First up is an entryway of 1X4 hickory flooring inlaid with 18” travertine tile. The space is 6’x10’ and the Mrs. wanted the pattern to be set on the bias. Neither my pal Ken nor I had ever done a mixed media floor like this so it took us nearly a day to just plan how w...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1828 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Shop stuff - 85 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1853 entries
- dbhost - 452 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 398 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 276 entries
- robscastle - 263 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 258 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 233 entries
- bandit571 - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries