Right after Christmas, my Grandfather asked me if I could make a Sewing box for his special someone. She loves to sew as much as we love to woodwork. During the building of the sewing box, the origional design had to be changed due to the knife hinge failure. They just couldnt hold up.. so after rethinking things a little. the final outcome turned out well and she loved the sewing box.. Here are two small videos showing the hinge issue as well as the outcome. YOu can go to my Projects...
Well if you have made it this far, why not go a little further and watch the conclusion of this chest. It has been a fun build so far for me. I hope it has been informative and somewhat enjoyable for you to watch as well. Now I know the video quality isnt the best. but As I go on it has gotten better….Now in this present day I have a new camera, lighting and it has helped a lot. Here are the final 3 videos of this chest build. Parts 6, 7, 8 Part 8 was pretty basic, the installation ...
This is a continuation of the Hickory Chest build. This is an 8 video series. Here we continue with part 3, 4 and 5
Hi everyone. I first off want to say I am sorry it took so long to get back here. Between Facebook, Google plus and Youtube and my website http://www.asimpledesignofocala.com . I never made it back here to update this series. Well the Hickory Chest build went very well. It ended up being an eight video series from start to finish. The Hickory Chest featured Raised Panel construction and the chest was lined with cedar. This project started when a client asked me to build a blanket chest for...
I was gone much of yesterday, but I did manage to finish up my ornaments when I got home. I suppose that I was just too excited to leave them until the next day and couldn’t wait to see how they came out. I am really pleased with them and I hope that everyone else likes them too. After doing a final sanding on them, I dipped them in my usual mineral oil. I am finding this as my favorite method for finishing up fretwork and small pieces like this. It is quick and easy and doesn...
Those of you who know me well know that I am not a ‘random’ type of person. I generally like to keep everything pretty organized and when I do something, it is done systematically and orderly. I find that as my way to keep my busy life under control. I have always been somewhat like that. With that said, I realize that doing an assignment or project such as the one I am working on now is something if a stretch for me. It isn’t often that I do something that is on this...
Recently I started a Hickory Chest Project. This chest will feature raised panels as well as a cedar lining. I have been videoing the build. To share with viewers who might like to watch. I’m right at the point of getting ready for the finish. But before i do, I want to pose a question to my fellow Lumber Jock’s… Here is a picture of the Chest. It has some cool features. ( beetle bore holes, knots, etc.) Id like to showcase in the project. With that being said. Here is my qu...
Hello. This weekend had I finished up my tailvise and made the bench dogs for my bench. I am currently making up a video to show you the tailvise, so when that is done in the next day or two I will post the finished vise. I made one dog for each hole in my bench. Aswell as a special dog that fits in the first hole in the tailvise for when I need to clamp work that would be to short otherwise. I have a thin strip glued with the grain in the opposite direction to give the extension...
I was walking through the timber a month ago, and found a huge smooth bark hickory that had fallen from a storm. The trunk was 24” in diameter at its base, and 30 foot up the trunk it was 16” in diameter. When I saw it, I knew it just had to be milled. I already had a cherry that had fallen that was 20 foot tall and a foot in diameter. So, I called a sawyer that came and picked up one 6 foot and two 12 foot hickory logs, and one 5 foot and two 8 foot cherry logs. ...
Ahhh what a Bitter Sweet Weekend… Over the Past week, A Hickory tree fell on my Grandfather’s home.. So I loaded up my trailer and tools and a saw.. To help remove the tree and repair the damage.. That was the bitter side of this short story… On the Sweet side, I was able to haul the tree straight to the mill and the result was a very nice stack of beautifully figured Hickory boards…. Spent the day stacking and preparing to dry the wood… Looking forward to being ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1730 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 98 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 78 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1755 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 410 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 303 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 238 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- robscastle - 207 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Dave Rutan - 206 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries