To see the pictures, please click here. After finishing up the leg vise yesterday, I had a little bit of time leftover and decided to get cracking on Mjolnir (yeah, it thinks a lot of itself!). I finalized the design and drew it on the handle. It has the typical laminated mallet shape, tapered inside the head to lock the handle in place. I decided ti add a little detail to the handle and a pommel. Totally not necessary but I’m having fun now. I started to cut the handle free...
To see the pictures, please click here. At long last I have begun construction of my first mallet! I’ve been seeing all these great pounders, thumpers, whackers, and smackers that everyone has been displaying on the internet and on TV shows and finally could take no more of the bounce-back prone rubber mallet I’ve been using. As it happens, when I bought the supplies to build the bench back in August, I also acquired a nice hickory plank (4”x3/4” x 4’) to ...
So my business of country spoon sloyd craft carries on. Forgive me if my tales on this exploration have become boring, I realize there is not a lot of joinery going on. I am closing in as I enter the words here for session 4 of 5 of this spoon blog and have really made some nice strides. My greatest findings have been using the soil I live on to adventure more deeply into the woods and come out with new species I have never worked with before such as Hickory, Black Walnut, and Black Locust...
Well I thought it might be best this evening to get to the shop and keep up with the spoon practicing and see where are am at with things. I felt good and energized after a fine meal of venison burger, potatoes and greens. I have to say that deer meat is a terrific source of rocket fuel and lucky for me I have no better source than my uncle Topper who lives in the cold hills of the upstate NY. When it comes to some well hunted eats there’s no better of a choice than Toppers freezer for some d...
Last weekend I got 2 coats of linseed oil applied to the bottle holder and last night I got 3 coats of shellac applied. Tomorrow I will give it a light sanding and then 2 more coats of shellac. I like this picture because it shows how much color and warmth the oil added to the hickory.
I had a chunk of hickory I had milled from a piece of firewood and a friend has a birthday coming up, so I thought I would try to make a wine bottle holder. I still need to sand it a little more and finish it. But I had to try it out last night after cutting the hole in it. I am going to give it a coat of BLO and then will probably apply some shellac.
Right after Christmas, my Grandfather asked me if I could make a Sewing box for his special someone. She loves to sew as much as we love to woodwork. During the building of the sewing box, the origional design had to be changed due to the knife hinge failure. They just couldnt hold up.. so after rethinking things a little. the final outcome turned out well and she loved the sewing box.. Here are two small videos showing the hinge issue as well as the outcome. YOu can go to my Projects...
Well if you have made it this far, why not go a little further and watch the conclusion of this chest. It has been a fun build so far for me. I hope it has been informative and somewhat enjoyable for you to watch as well. Now I know the video quality isnt the best. but As I go on it has gotten better….Now in this present day I have a new camera, lighting and it has helped a lot. Here are the final 3 videos of this chest build. Parts 6, 7, 8 Part 8 was pretty basic, the installation ...
This is a continuation of the Hickory Chest build. This is an 8 video series. Here we continue with part 3, 4 and 5
Hi everyone. I first off want to say I am sorry it took so long to get back here. Between Facebook, Google plus and Youtube and my website http://www.asimpledesignofocala.com . I never made it back here to update this series. Well the Hickory Chest build went very well. It ended up being an eight video series from start to finish. The Hickory Chest featured Raised Panel construction and the chest was lined with cedar. This project started when a client asked me to build a blanket chest for...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1562 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1587 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 395 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 276 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 188 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 175 entries