My Dad and I made a trip to the Black Forest Company today and picked up the supplies for the helicopter project. The body will be out of cherry, the main rotors will be wenge and other details will be other exotic woods such as padauk and yellowheart. This evening I laminated the sheets of cherry into a 7” by 7” by 27” (length) blank. Tomorrow the new bandsaw is going to get quite the work out cutting this baby out. Hopefully all goes well.
Its about time to give you guys an update. I have finished the rotor head. It has almost all the same parts as the real ones, and moves in all directions (both collective and cyclic movement). I also cut the size of the main rotor blades, which are wenge. At first, the rotor head could not take the weight of the blades, so extra supports were added. The rotor head is maple and the dish on top is cherry. I also began working on the seats. I have the middle row done. They are cherry, padauk...
Today was the big day; cutting out the basic shape of the helicopter. I did it like you would do those scroll saw or bandsaw reindeer (cutting out two perspectives to get a final shape in the middle). I have to admit that this morning before I started I was nervous because I had never cut anything so big on the bandsaw, and messing up would be costly. The blank for the body of the copter weighed 30lbs, and was difficult to manuver around the bandsaw, even when I was constantly lub...
Let me first apologize to those of you who were following my shop build back in 2012 – I forgot to post the finished product! I suppose my incomplete blog is the result of a combination of excitement with my new shop and just being busy with woodworking, school, and life in general. I know that if I was following a build and they failed to post the complete shop, I’d be a little ticked off! Now that I’ve got that out of the way, let’s move on to the shop. I will beg...
In the last while, I have been sanding and shaping the helicopter. I did end up getting the pneumatic sander. It is the perfect tool for the job. I have probably spent 10 hours, but many more are to come. It is ver difficult to get it to the same shape of the real helicopter, it is still more square-ish then I would like it to be. Also just realized that the rear-bottom comes to a point, so a lot of material is yet to be removed. Thanks in advance for your comments.
Today was an all shop day, and it was a productive one. I clamped the body back together carefully. And of course filled some unwanted gaps, but less then I expected. It clamped together well, doing one side at a time just to make sure I was getting the best fit. Sanding was also needed to account for the displacement of material from the band saw blade when it was cut apart. I chose not to glue the roof on just for more simplicity when adding more interior components. The seat...
The past couple of days I have been working hard to make progress on the helicopter. In the past two days I have make the anti-tourque peddles, more details in the interior, and finished the the rotor blades along with attatching them to the rotor head. Here are the anti-tourque peddles,every part is walnut and the peddles were turned on the lathe: In the interior I added the instrument panel, the cyclic control, a bunch of switches on the roof of the cockpit (which you can not see ...
So fo the past while I have been sanding the body to shape. I was also doing anything I could to avoid facing the challenge of cutting the body apart. I was afraid of doing so because it is not a cheap chunk of wood, and also all the effort put into getting the shape correct shape made it more special. Then one day I decided it had to be done and I did it. And that new bandsaw got quite the workout. It did go better then I expected with the minor flaw here and there. after the walls were ...
Over the past few days it has started to take the shape of a helicopter. Here is the switch panel located on the roof of the cockpit (sorry for the poor quality of the image): This is a photo of clamping on the tail boom. Every minute the clamp stayed on there I worried that something on the body would give, but I was lucky and all went well. Today I just began the engine housing, it is coming together well. There a lot more to do but I am happy with it so far. Although there is ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1814 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 130 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1839 entries
- dbhost - 448 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 322 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 265 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 253 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 221 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- bandit571 - 211 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries