Over the past few days it has started to take the shape of a helicopter. Here is the switch panel located on the roof of the cockpit (sorry for the poor quality of the image): This is a photo of clamping on the tail boom. Every minute the clamp stayed on there I worried that something on the body would give, but I was lucky and all went well. Today I just began the engine housing, it is coming together well. There a lot more to do but I am happy with it so far. Although there is ...
The past couple of days I have been working hard to make progress on the helicopter. In the past two days I have make the anti-tourque peddles, more details in the interior, and finished the the rotor blades along with attatching them to the rotor head. Here are the anti-tourque peddles,every part is walnut and the peddles were turned on the lathe: In the interior I added the instrument panel, the cyclic control, a bunch of switches on the roof of the cockpit (which you can not see ...
Today was an all shop day, and it was a productive one. I clamped the body back together carefully. And of course filled some unwanted gaps, but less then I expected. It clamped together well, doing one side at a time just to make sure I was getting the best fit. Sanding was also needed to account for the displacement of material from the band saw blade when it was cut apart. I chose not to glue the roof on just for more simplicity when adding more interior components. The seat...
So fo the past while I have been sanding the body to shape. I was also doing anything I could to avoid facing the challenge of cutting the body apart. I was afraid of doing so because it is not a cheap chunk of wood, and also all the effort put into getting the shape correct shape made it more special. Then one day I decided it had to be done and I did it. And that new bandsaw got quite the workout. It did go better then I expected with the minor flaw here and there. after the walls were ...
In the last while, I have been sanding and shaping the helicopter. I did end up getting the pneumatic sander. It is the perfect tool for the job. I have probably spent 10 hours, but many more are to come. It is ver difficult to get it to the same shape of the real helicopter, it is still more square-ish then I would like it to be. Also just realized that the rear-bottom comes to a point, so a lot of material is yet to be removed. Thanks in advance for your comments.
Its about time to give you guys an update. I have finished the rotor head. It has almost all the same parts as the real ones, and moves in all directions (both collective and cyclic movement). I also cut the size of the main rotor blades, which are wenge. At first, the rotor head could not take the weight of the blades, so extra supports were added. The rotor head is maple and the dish on top is cherry. I also began working on the seats. I have the middle row done. They are cherry, padauk...
Today was the big day; cutting out the basic shape of the helicopter. I did it like you would do those scroll saw or bandsaw reindeer (cutting out two perspectives to get a final shape in the middle). I have to admit that this morning before I started I was nervous because I had never cut anything so big on the bandsaw, and messing up would be costly. The blank for the body of the copter weighed 30lbs, and was difficult to manuver around the bandsaw, even when I was constantly lub...
My Dad and I made a trip to the Black Forest Company today and picked up the supplies for the helicopter project. The body will be out of cherry, the main rotors will be wenge and other details will be other exotic woods such as padauk and yellowheart. This evening I laminated the sheets of cherry into a 7” by 7” by 27” (length) blank. Tomorrow the new bandsaw is going to get quite the work out cutting this baby out. Hopefully all goes well.
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1598 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1623 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 279 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 218 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries