After showing some of my boxes in “Projects”. I have received some inquiries about the installation of the barrel hinges I sometimes use. I hope this helps for some of you. I know it will be overkill for many of you, so just use what you wish. With any type hinge, the layout is critical. These hinges are simple to install, but you must get your holes in the right place. If you don’t, I can assure you , you will not like the results, and you will not be able to go back and...
Bowling Alley Workbench #6: There is more than 1 way to skin a cat - not so with bowling alley floors though - finally success
Yes. Finally some light at the end of the tunnel, reverse thinking, and this project seems a bit more doable, and even not much trouble at all. Originally I tried to get the (2.5” hardened) nails out by using a cat’s paw and a hammer to pull each nail out of the 2.5 laminated hard-rock maple strips. I figured once I get all the nails out of the top strip, it’ll just free it from the lamination, and be nails free… one strip at a time, until I have them all cleared ou...
Not much to say, nor anything to show in this post. Just received the locking hardware from Lee Valley which was the last thing I needed to finish this build at this point. I thought about making the locking set myself, but seeing the set LV offers it just didn’t make any sense so I just ordered it from them with the Free Shipping they offer this week. arrived in 2 days and installed today – very nice set, and works like a charm. The set I got is this one: And can be foun...
The Doors Last time I glued up the door fronts: I spent some time fitting the doors with a plane: And then I passed them through the drum sander to flatten them: This little marking jig came with the hinge drill bit I bought: Drilling the holes for the hinges: Aligning the hinges: The Skinny Door I’ve been going back and forth on whether or not to cover the space where the DVD player shelf is. I finally decided it needed a cover of some ki...
Now that I received the tail vises for my workbench, I have modeled them in Sketchup so that I can play around with it for a more precise location and drilling plans before I have to physically deal with the heavy top material. This model is design to be light and fast, and as such does not go into vast details such as screw spirals etc. Instead it is designed to be used for measurements and sizing, both in terms of the actual hardware measurements and shapes, and screw hole locations. ...
I had an idea of how to make T-track on the cheap. I shot this video with my phone so it is not the best but you get the idea.
“Lord, grant that I may always desire more than I can accomplish.”Michelangelo…Italian sculptor, painter, architect, & poet. (1475-1564) Enjoy the decorative door knockers from Florence, Italy. Many front doors have knobs, hinges, and knockers of unique design of cast iron and solid brass. It is here that we will feature some wonderful door knockers and one very special solid brass door knob. Florence, Italy is considered the birthplace to the Italian Renaissan...
It’s interesting how it feels like you’re standing still when you’re working on already dry-fit parts for additional features. After all – at the end of the day when you look at all the parts – they seem to look just the way they did in the morning. bummer. but even though things don’t seem that way somethings. Progress IS progress, and is one step closer to the finish line. Today I implemented the hardware for the leg vise in the right leg (I’m...
I recently posted a forum question and got some good replies on the topic. I thought I’d write my official tactic here with some final thoughts… (I’ll get a picture posted to demonstrate soon) The problem I experienced recently was involving the insertion of brass screw inserts into some hard Magnolia lumber. I’m building a simple miter jig for my table saw, and I’m using inserts on the back of the fence to attach to the existing miter gauge. I could onl...
When we left subject cabinet, the last part of the build was done, as the upper door pieces were cut and fit and glued up. Stiles ran long on the doors, as Lysdexic correctly pointed out, to prevent spitting of the entire stile while the mortises were cut. So we know the doors needed a trim length wise. What I didn’t realize is how close I had made it re: the rails. You can see in the pics below I had to preserve all of the rail material… Whew… There was ve...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1792 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 115 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 82 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1817 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 241 entries
- Dave Rutan - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 210 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries