Hey everyone, well I guess I was just plain not paying attention when posting my last blog explaining my rustic sassafras hiking stick and cherry spoon work. I totally forgot to add some pics in of these…lol. These would greatly add to the experience of my past Saturdays wood working session. So here they are! Pic 1: Some new fresh cherry ready for some spoon making! Pic 2: Roughed out blank ready for greater detail. Finished project can be found here: http://lumberjocks...
I have entered an important stage creating these smaller more swedish styled spoons. That stage is simply practice and seeing if I can produce a sufficient rhythmic pattern by exercising more than one roughed result. It’s best to let a green wood piece dry for anywhere up to a few days to 2 weeks before doing any serious finishing work so I thought this to be a good time to keep the ideas flowing and hone on beginners skills. It’s surely an exercise of challenge and chance when axing down ...
There have been many times where I could have used a good scratch awl. They’re great for: —Making pilot holes for nails, brads and screws to prevent splitting (see Hand Tools: Their Ways and Workings by Aldren Watson. This text is within arm’s reach of your workbench isn’t it?) Yes, gimlets would work too.—Scribing lines with a try square during layout operations—Puncturing your beer can of choice to shotgun it So while tool hunting on an antiquing outing o...
I’ve returned from a great vacation yesterday. We’ve visited lots of beautiful places in Sri Lanka and one of them was a small local woodworking factory. I’ve taken following photos for you to enjoy: Lots of hand tools in action, huh? ;)
By Joshua Farnsworth (Writer at WoodAndShop.com) I’ve tried almost every method to remove rust from metal parts! In the above VIDEO I show my favorite method for removing rust from metal parts – specifically traditional woodworking hand tool parts – but it’ll work for most other metal parts, like auto parts. Click here to read the original blog post with links. But first let me tell you about the other methods that haven’t worked very well for me: -Electrolisys with a car batt...
Hi friends here we are again back in the shop and making and marking up the next to do’s for this saw till project I have been working on. This project is just what is needed for my fast growing collection of handsaws as you will see…..lol. This is a piece that has brought some more expansion in the learning of joinery, and getting a chance to exercise some new lessons learned. Pic 1-2: I needed to make a pair 1×2 mortice’s on each side for my rail to joint into t...
My office building where I work is upgrading their HVAC system, and the new equipment was delivered packed in long crates. The wood was going to be scrapped so I loaded up my hatchback and brought it home. Now I figure I have to make a proper workbench, since I’ve been making do with a wobbly 1950’s kitchen table on hairpin legs (cool table, but it makes a crappy workbench). I like how the Roubo style benches look, and they seem pretty straightforward to build. I found Chris Sc...
Last time I showed the process for lapping the faces of the chisels. Here is the back of the 1/4” chisel. In the next phase of chisel sharpening we learned to hone the bevels. In order to more easily hone the chisel by hand we ground a double bevel. For the purpose of the class we used a Tormek Super Grinder, however the same can be accomplished with a bench grinder and more care to not burn your steel.Here is a chisel that has been hollow ground…Hollow ground chisels provide t...
Yesterday, I took every tool that was in my main tool chest out of the box and cleaned and vacuumed out the box. While I was at it I laid my tools out on the work bench and cleaned and inspected them and took some of the bigger Stanley planes apart one at a time and cleaned all the parts. The iron in three of the planes needed sharpening so I did that before I reassembled them. I then put a few of the tools and put them in other drawers instead and put some other tools with these because this...
My eleven-year-old student finished up his Mother’s Day Box last Thurs. The box has been a three-to-four month process. He’s learned a lot…especially how to fix broken parts. The full design & build process can be found here.
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1832 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Shop stuff - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1857 entries
- dbhost - 455 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 398 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 277 entries
- robscastle - 267 entries
- shipwright - 259 entries
- William - 258 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 241 entries
- bandit571 - 237 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries