A quick and dirty update with pictures of progress made (if I can call it that) since the last installment. And progress has been painful because the lunchbox planer shot craps. Why is that a problem for a galoot like me? Well, the cherry I’d like to use for the front of this cabinet is substantially cupped and ‘the electron way’ was going to help me move past those flaws. Not to be, so I’ve been making boards the hard way. In no real order, here’s proof. Usin...
Hi friends here we are again back in the shop and making and marking up the next to do’s for this saw till project I have been working on. This project is just what is needed for my fast growing collection of handsaws as you will see…..lol. This is a piece that has brought some more expansion in the learning of joinery, and getting a chance to exercise some new lessons learned. Pic 1-2: I needed to make a pair 1×2 mortice’s on each side for my rail to joint into t...
A short update…. I’ve decided the back will be 1/2” thick, and to set the backing material into the carcase means rabbets. The two side pieces get stopped rabbets; we’ll do those after getting the process down on the top piece. Disassembled the cabinet (in dry fit mode since last installment) and headed to the bench. Set the 1/2” measurement to the fence and the depth stop of the #78, applied wax to the sole and fence surfaces and made quick work of the cut...
... THANK YOU to http://lumberjocks.com/VillageCarpenter – I have driven by the Cloisters a million times, but until I read about it in her blog, I never considered going. workbench in the workshop from the Ephrata Cloister. (pictures go here – but no joy in posting flickr pics, please click the link below) The English Style workbench had no stretchers across the front or back – but on closer inspection, I think I found the mortises where they once were. It̵...
I lived outside of philadelphia or Philly as most call it for a chunk of my life and I always liked the city and have a soft spot of the businesses there. So when I got interested into saws and realized the biggest name in saws. . . . Disston was made there I went looking online any references but never got around to visiting what’s left. As it turns out some of the builds still stand and it was quite close. This past weekend with nicer weather and already being in the area I stoppe...
having just finished reading the Schwarz’s Workbench design book before heading back into my shop to finish my daughter’s Shaker style desk, I am seriously Jonesing for a real bench. rather than go all-out Ruobo for my first real bench, I’m thinking of making a Moxon-ish dovetailing bench. it also needs to be a bench for sharpening with my new Brian Burns double bevel system ( http://www.lessonsinlutherie.com/doublebevelsharpeninghirez.html ). I’m thinkin...
Just thought I’d give y’all an update since my first disaster. I chose to forgo the dull chisel this time and just went with the hacksaw, vise, and pencil. This time was much better as far as fit, but still pretty fugly. I’d give it a 4.5/10 as opposed to a 1/10 I would have given my last adventure. Here are some action shots. Cutting new tails (notice the first ones I did on the opposite end). Now the pins with my new and improved #2 marking device. Why didn’...
Armed with this, and this, and these, I decided to try and see if I had what it took to do some hand joinery. My ultimate goal is to build a set of natural wood guitar head and speaker cabs for my own custom built amp, which also happens to be my first guitar amp electronics project. I was concerned that I was getting a little too interested in gathering nice, expensive tools rather than working on skills, so I set out there to make due with what I had. I’m still a newb, so I...
You know I said at the end of my last post that I’d post a picture of each saw and tell you how I was going to sharpen them and why? Well I lied. :-) The temptation of my restored backsaws, a saw vise and a bundle of saw files was just too much. I had to sharpen a saw, but which one? I thought about it for a while and settled on the little Spear & Jackson 8” Dovetail saw. Remember this one? I chose it for two reasons: For a dovetail saw, the depth of cut is quite big at 50mm. ...
The first act was to deconstruct the old topper, as noted in Installment #1. But thinking the whole thing was made of oak was a mistake. Here are a couple of pics of side boards, post-glue-up to address splitting that had taken place over the years. This piece was totally abused (mostly in outbuildings) and has been separated from it’s base for decades: But for the tambour door slats, these sides are the only solid oak pieces of the cabinet. The major partitions as well as th...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1295 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 101 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1317 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 380 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 302 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- mafe - 219 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 188 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 175 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 163 entries
- stefang - 151 entries