I managed to grab a few hours when it wasn’t raining and decided to sharpen Big Joe, the first of my crosscut backsaws. I got ¾ of the way through filing in new teeth and my file gave out. I’ve ordered some more files which should be here early next week, so I’ll return to Big Joe in a future post. I didn’t want to waste the day however, so I decided to sharpen a handsaw instead – a first for me. Some months ago, I restored a couple of 26” Disston D8s. This one is 8PPI (points per in...
My latest tool and project which I made in a day from a local wind blown Laburnum this cutting gauge.Measuring 4” by 3” by 1-3/16” with a 3/4” stick also from the same timber.The stick is secured by a disc and side plate setup from the rear of the block by a transverse 10.00mm nickel silver solid rod drilled to take a 6.00 thread which is intersected by an ebony knob which has the 6.00mm bolt cut to length and also threaded and glued into the timber.Inside the main bod...
Well the rain finally stopped today and the sun came out. Looking out on my garden, the squirrels were making the most of it. I sat and watched this youngster somersaulting around the garden, before settling on a branch to devour his morning pine cone. Following his lead, I took the opportunity to get outside and sharpen another saw. Next up is the W. Tyzack, Sons & Turner No.120. Fourteen inches long with a .030” thick plate and an extra heavy spine. This is by far the heaviest ba...
Have you ever thought about why some saw makers add negative rake to the teeth of their rip saws? I have, but when I was drawing a 12 TPI template in Sketchup to re-tooth my Disston No.5 carcass saw, I realized that adding a touch of rake actually increases the volume of space between the teeth. If you look at a section through a saw file, you’ll see that you have an equilateral triangle (ignoring the rounded corners that define the gullets) and we know that the three angles of a triangle ...
Making the Workbench with Paul Sellers If the video below is not working please use this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru2ZiNsWek This replicates my personal workbench, one I have used and preferred over all others for, well, actually, half a century. Let’s talk briefly about benches and specifically working workbenches and not images of what a bench should be. Anyone can build any bench type they like, regardless of whether it works well or not, is big and clunky and la...
Good evening once more friends. Here is another installment of this saw till project build I have been having a fun time experimenting with. This till has been prepared for the task of holding my various saws for the last week or more….....but I wanted to take some additional time on this and try some creative ideas. I felt this was a nice opportunity to take aim at showcasing various skills and add them to this project to make it extra special as well as different from the rest. ...
A quick and dirty update with pictures of progress made (if I can call it that) since the last installment. And progress has been painful because the lunchbox planer shot craps. Why is that a problem for a galoot like me? Well, the cherry I’d like to use for the front of this cabinet is substantially cupped and ‘the electron way’ was going to help me move past those flaws. Not to be, so I’ve been making boards the hard way. In no real order, here’s proof. Usin...
Hi friends here we are again back in the shop and making and marking up the next to do’s for this saw till project I have been working on. This project is just what is needed for my fast growing collection of handsaws as you will see…..lol. This is a piece that has brought some more expansion in the learning of joinery, and getting a chance to exercise some new lessons learned. Pic 1-2: I needed to make a pair 1×2 mortice’s on each side for my rail to joint into t...
A short update…. I’ve decided the back will be 1/2” thick, and to set the backing material into the carcase means rabbets. The two side pieces get stopped rabbets; we’ll do those after getting the process down on the top piece. Disassembled the cabinet (in dry fit mode since last installment) and headed to the bench. Set the 1/2” measurement to the fence and the depth stop of the #78, applied wax to the sole and fence surfaces and made quick work of the cut...
... THANK YOU to http://lumberjocks.com/VillageCarpenter – I have driven by the Cloisters a million times, but until I read about it in her blog, I never considered going. workbench in the workshop from the Ephrata Cloister. (pictures go here – but no joy in posting flickr pics, please click the link below) The English Style workbench had no stretchers across the front or back – but on closer inspection, I think I found the mortises where they once were. It̵...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1042 parts
- Extremely Average - 325 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 85 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Just for Fun... - 72 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 64 parts
- 52 Weeks - 52 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1064 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 384 entries
- Ecocandle - 326 entries
- dbhost - 318 entries
- Martin Sojka - 294 entries
- Karson - 288 entries
- MsDebbieP - 283 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- William - 213 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Stevinmarin - 198 entries
- mafe - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 182 entries
- Rustic - 182 entries
- PurpLev - 159 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 146 entries
- scottb - 144 entries
- kosta - 144 entries