Have you ever thought about why some saw makers add negative rake to the teeth of their rip saws? I have, but when I was drawing a 12 TPI template in Sketchup to re-tooth my Disston No.5 carcass saw, I realized that adding a touch of rake actually increases the volume of space between the teeth. If you look at a section through a saw file, you’ll see that you have an equilateral triangle (ignoring the rounded corners that define the gullets) and we know that the three angles of a triangle ...
Making the Workbench with Paul Sellers If the video below is not working please use this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru2ZiNsWek This replicates my personal workbench, one I have used and preferred over all others for, well, actually, half a century. Let’s talk briefly about benches and specifically working workbenches and not images of what a bench should be. Anyone can build any bench type they like, regardless of whether it works well or not, is big and clunky and la...
Good evening once more friends. Here is another installment of this saw till project build I have been having a fun time experimenting with. This till has been prepared for the task of holding my various saws for the last week or more….....but I wanted to take some additional time on this and try some creative ideas. I felt this was a nice opportunity to take aim at showcasing various skills and add them to this project to make it extra special as well as different from the rest. ...
A quick and dirty update with pictures of progress made (if I can call it that) since the last installment. And progress has been painful because the lunchbox planer shot craps. Why is that a problem for a galoot like me? Well, the cherry I’d like to use for the front of this cabinet is substantially cupped and ‘the electron way’ was going to help me move past those flaws. Not to be, so I’ve been making boards the hard way. In no real order, here’s proof. Usin...
Hi friends here we are again back in the shop and making and marking up the next to do’s for this saw till project I have been working on. This project is just what is needed for my fast growing collection of handsaws as you will see…..lol. This is a piece that has brought some more expansion in the learning of joinery, and getting a chance to exercise some new lessons learned. Pic 1-2: I needed to make a pair 1×2 mortice’s on each side for my rail to joint into t...
A short update…. I’ve decided the back will be 1/2” thick, and to set the backing material into the carcase means rabbets. The two side pieces get stopped rabbets; we’ll do those after getting the process down on the top piece. Disassembled the cabinet (in dry fit mode since last installment) and headed to the bench. Set the 1/2” measurement to the fence and the depth stop of the #78, applied wax to the sole and fence surfaces and made quick work of the cut...
... THANK YOU to http://lumberjocks.com/VillageCarpenter – I have driven by the Cloisters a million times, but until I read about it in her blog, I never considered going. workbench in the workshop from the Ephrata Cloister. (pictures go here – but no joy in posting flickr pics, please click the link below) The English Style workbench had no stretchers across the front or back – but on closer inspection, I think I found the mortises where they once were. It̵...
I lived outside of philadelphia or Philly as most call it for a chunk of my life and I always liked the city and have a soft spot of the businesses there. So when I got interested into saws and realized the biggest name in saws. . . . Disston was made there I went looking online any references but never got around to visiting what’s left. As it turns out some of the builds still stand and it was quite close. This past weekend with nicer weather and already being in the area I stoppe...
having just finished reading the Schwarz’s Workbench design book before heading back into my shop to finish my daughter’s Shaker style desk, I am seriously Jonesing for a real bench. rather than go all-out Ruobo for my first real bench, I’m thinking of making a Moxon-ish dovetailing bench. it also needs to be a bench for sharpening with my new Brian Burns double bevel system ( http://www.lessonsinlutherie.com/doublebevelsharpeninghirez.html ). I’m thinkin...
Just thought I’d give y’all an update since my first disaster. I chose to forgo the dull chisel this time and just went with the hacksaw, vise, and pencil. This time was much better as far as fit, but still pretty fugly. I’d give it a 4.5/10 as opposed to a 1/10 I would have given my last adventure. Here are some action shots. Cutting new tails (notice the first ones I did on the opposite end). Now the pins with my new and improved #2 marking device. Why didn’...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1832 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Shop stuff - 90 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1857 entries
- dbhost - 455 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 398 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 277 entries
- robscastle - 267 entries
- shipwright - 259 entries
- William - 258 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 241 entries
- bandit571 - 237 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries