Winter Storm Jonas had us snowbound for a few days. I made a short film about getting my shop in order since I didn’t have materials for the next project. You can watch it here: https://youtu.be/BD1KMiy0NI4
I realised my last couple of posts were actually woodwork projects rather than workshop projects so I’ve started a new series. Anyway onto the actual post. In the run up to Christmas 2015 I realised I didn’t have much for my dad (a print out of a voucher wasn’t very interesting!). My dad has always had an interest in woodwork, so I decided to have a go at a quick project. I decided to try a dovetail box because I hadn’t done dovetails before and wanted an excu...
As previously mentioned I found 2015 pretty tough, that coupled with a slow project meant that I’d hardly been in the workshop in since oct. Meanwhile my wife Jenny has been getting into green woodworking and bushcraft type skills. This started with some training to become a forest schools teacher (an initiative in the UK to gets kids outside and learning so basic bushcraft skills, like shelter building and fire making, along with craft work). Anyway, she did a week long course on gr...
So as I continue to catch up with recent projects I come to my first piece of furniture. This was a kitchen island unit with a butchers block type top. I was really excited about this project, as it was the first piece of furniture I’d attempted and it was going to make use of some oak I’d recently acquired. This is a lifetime supply I feel! Anyway using this wood meant a lot of hand planing to remove the original varnish. Also I made almost every cut (including ripping ...
So as the series continues to play catch up with where I am at the minute, I next took on the challenge of a workbench. This was to be the centre of my hand tool workshop, in the same way the table saw is often the centre of a machine workshop. Again attempting this on a budget I decided to use construction 2×4s and a few left over 2×6s from my recent attic project (I had put in a floor, but first lifted 6 inches to clear the extra insulation). This project was a really great ...
I’m a carpenter, I fit out kitchens, offices, cafes for a specialist joinery firm that runs a modest workshop.By chance they had overordered a batch of Spruce pine and had no immediate use for it.After a brief chat with the boss and workshop manager, 7 of those boards were wheeled to a massive table saw, the legs, stretchers and top were cut to an oversize dimension and length, then surface planed and edged and then thicknessed.My intention was to hand build this bench over the Chri...
This article comes partway through the project. I’ve completed the shaping on the base, and picked my pieces for the neck of the lamp. I’m doing some inlays for the sides of the neck, Orange Osage into the Walnut.I made the cuts on the table saw with a crosscut sled and a scrap piece of 2×4 braced against the sled fence to hold it in place. Card Scrapers made short work of any spots that were too wide as I tested the inlays above.Glue up was interesting, the thin end of th...
Now it is time to carve the bowl of the spoon. Since the top surface of the spoon bowl needs to be lowered somewhat and I will lose my drawing of the heart, I started by roughly shaping the perimeter of the bowl so I didn’t lose the shape. I also transferred my layout lines to the side of the spoon because I didn’t want to lose them either. I will need to remove wood from the top, bottom and sides of the twisted stem section also to gain better access when shaping the under...
I allow myself to indulge in eating Rice Krispies Treats every once in awhile. I decided that one of my favorite snacks needed a better box to store them. The container was made with a combination of power tools and hand tools, and was assembled with only cut nails (no glue). The wood was a ‘white wood’ cutoff from the big box store. It was a fun build – hope you like it.
In this episode, I show you how I tackled the caged ball section of the Welsh Love Spoon. I started by squaring the outside of the cage and transferring the aperture opening to the other three sides. I then marked the diameter of the ball on the other three sides, but whilst doing that I found myself wondering whether or not the ball I’d drawn was the right diameter. After all I just drew a ball freehand along with the rest of the spoon. Should it be a certain diameter and if so, how big? ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1694 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 92 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 69 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1719 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 403 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 286 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- stefang - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 203 entries
- robscastle - 196 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 191 entries
- Dave Rutan - 191 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries