The plywood version of my chevalet design is officially a success. It cuts really nicely, is solid as a rock, and can be put together considerably more economically than a solid wood model and with less woodworking experience. ...... but it looks like plywood. :-( Well it did until today anyway. The new owner of the prototype ( one of my recent students, Kendra) came over today and made a very good start on hammer veneering it with some pretty 1/16” mahogany. She hadn’t done a...
A couple of weeks ago I got an unexpected package in the mail from my good friend Klaus (aka kiefer). Inside was a hand made veneer hammer with his signature open pattern handle. It is very well designed especially when you know he hasn’t done any hammer veneering. It features an offset handle which will be an advantage on larger jobs where both hands are on the hammer, a comfortable rounded head which works very well to get big pressure down on small projects using only one hand, an...
I’m working on a new top for the sliding hatch on my sailboat to replace the $136 piece of medium bronze acrylic that I sat on the other day…. Crack !!!.... This time I cold molded a curved panel from 3 layers of 1/8” cedar on opposing diagonals and decided to make it appear to be a solid mahogany hatch. This would be difficult to press with either my screw press or clamps and would require substantial jigging to vacuum bag so the obvious answer seemed to be to hammer it. Of...
Here is the final product http://lumberjocks.com/projects/83379 All in all I learned a lot and most importantly had tons of fun. I felt my skill level just about doubled with each piece I laid down. There are A LOT of things I would have done differently – including buying a veneer saw a lot earlier on. I picked up on a good tip shipwright posted in the comments on my first blog. There is a link to an awesome video by Patrick Edwards. My next veneer project will be a lot mo...
I assembled the box walls using hot hide glue rub joints. since I had a seamless fit, no clamps were used. I was going to shoot some brads for additional strength but decided against it. After it sat for a day, I could not pull this box apart as it was. Short of using a spreader or mechanical advantage, these joints were going nowhere. I then measured and cut the MDF for the top and bottom. After cut, I veneered what was to be the inside. One with the walnut I sliced on the bandsaw and one...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1795 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 116 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 82 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1820 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 242 entries
- Dave Rutan - 232 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 211 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries