In this part of the series, we’ll look at making and installing the back braces, making the back, and prepping the sides for the big glue-up. In this guitar, I put in four back braces. These braces were made from 7×15 mm strips of Spanish cedar ripped on a bandsaw. The braces were given a rounded profile on the side facing up when you look through the sound hole. After cutting the braces to length, the ends of each brace on the rounded side were chiseled flat. This would ...
I came across an interesting guitar design on Yanko Design and was wondering what woodworkers and guitar players think. Does anyone see any problems with the design? Would it play, sound the same as a normally shaped electric guitar?
The kit for this classical guitar came with a bookmatched pair of Engelmann spruce boards for the top. My pair has some beautiful silk in it that I hope will come out in the finish. After jointing the inner edges of the two boards and tapering the opposite edges. We used a wedge jig to glue up the top. The wedge applies the clamping pressure to the joint in the middle of the top. I then used hand planes to surface the outside of the top. The next step is installing the rosette t...
The top was glued up as any other panel would be, only thinner at about 3mm. The material was a lucky find at a local lumberyard. Nicely quartered cedar is easy to find here in BC. Unless noted otherwise, Titebond 3 is the glue used. Rosettes in classical/flamenco guitars are most often mosaic and herringbone inlay. I love the look of traditional rosettes, but they are complex to make from scratch. Mass-produced rosettes can be purchased from most of the big luthier supply houses. As...
Still without a climate controlled work room, I’ll continue through the list of tasks that can be done without a dehumidifier. Next up is one of the steps that seems to mystify a lot of non-guitar types: side bending. There are many different approaches to this task ranging from hi-tech electric blankets to boiling. My method is based on conversations with luthier friends and guitar geek research. It’s also probably one of the simplest to set up without spending a ton on exp...
3 Strings CBG (cigar box guitar) #6: This cigar box guitar is done but I think the journey just began!
Hi there guys, I had another long weekend (revolution day over here) so I managed to finish my first cgb, whee! So, first I did the last polycrylic coat(satin) and wet sanded with 1200 grit, the plan was to do some polish to the finish… but it turns out that, when wet sanding this finish it looks and feels just like the necks in 3 of my factory made guitars – natural matte look, and smooth to the touch- which I love a lot so no polish needed!, and that means a lot less elbow gr...
I have not made an instrument for a while, and some would say I have not built one this time either… My son has done a video demontrating the tuning, setup and playing of a strumstick. Squaring up the strumstick blanks On another WW Forum a while ago there was a post about building a Dulcitar or sometimes called strumstick. I said it would be cool to make a few of these for some fun. Not too much work, but a chance to hone the luthier skills for a change. I read the plans ...
This isn’t much of a blog, but here are some drawings (for those who were interested) with the dimensions for the guitar stand I posted a few weeks ago.
Hey everybody! My Brother-in-law has a birthday coming up (actually it’s today) and I never know what to get him. He always gets me something for my birthday and it’s usually a thoughtful gift. He can get whatever he wants whenever he needs it so gift giving, at least for me, is sort of difficult. He likes music and plays guitar so I thought that a guitar made from an old gas can would be a unique gift, something that he may have never even heard of or seen. I have never ...
Hi again, this weekend was slow because all the fingerboard work, let’s see: Slots for the fret line position inlays ready, made by hand with a hacksaw going really slow to avoid any mistakes. It may be a couple a little bit bad, but noting too obvious :) All the maple inlays ready to be glued and trimmed Inlays closeup Fitting each inlay Inlays done! And now side dots, made with flux core solder, drill each hole, fill it with a small length of solder, melt it with a s...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1794 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 116 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 82 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1819 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 242 entries
- Dave Rutan - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 211 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries