Take a long look at your sculpture Stewart; it’s the last you will see of it! Spread the Titebond. Not too much; we don’t want a mess inside there. In the Shaker tradition, even though we can’t see it, The Almighty can. The plywood caul is flexible enough to follow the curvature of the back or front.
Postings will slow down somewhat now. This is what I did today. On the router table, trimmed off the overhang on the back of the guitar. Marking out and cutting out for the end-seam inlay strip: I’m using a piece of quilted mahogany / sapele that will match the headstock veneer: My purflings… (Good grief; look at the state of my thumbnail!) and bindings arrived today. Sorry, I didn’t make ‘em! Last thing I did was to super...
Well, I have been working on this project for a little while now, the good portion of the summer. This is my first try at doing a bent form project. I was inspired after seeing Ken Dixon’s project from last year as seen here. I found a really nice piece of curly maple lumber online that I was going to use for the project. It was about the right size and 5/4” to give me some wiggle room. I have never used any curly wood like this before so I was pretty nervous to start cutting i...
Hello, Lumberjocks! It’s time to chronicle an actual project from me. I hope you enjoy the first of a series of blog posts about the construction of what I’ve always dreamed is the first of many acoustic guitars. BACKGROUND Long ago, perhaps 25 years ago in high school, my uncle, Roe, constructed a banjo and gifted it to my mother (yes, his sister). It was beautiful to me and though I never really learned to play it other than to strum open and barred chords, I greatly...
Fine tuning the tail veneer & cutting dinky little mitres on the purflings. A nice piece of maple recycled from a shop fitting will do nicely for the fretboard. I Googled and then printed off a full size pattern for the frets. Attached it to the maple with d/s tape. and attached depth stops to a pull-saw of correct kerf width for frets I’m using… a rapidly knocked together ‘mitre’ box Result – happiness: I made a sanding block...
Hi everyone, finally I come back with a blog for a little project I been doing in my free time for the last 2 weeks. As it was bound to happen I think, having been a professional musician for nearly 20 years and now interested in woodworking as a hobby among some other things, finally bit the bullet and started building a CBG (cigar box guitar), and this is the short story, short because there really is not too much to tell as the build can be as simple or complicated as you want it to be....
The kit for this classical guitar came with a bookmatched pair of Engelmann spruce boards for the top. My pair has some beautiful silk in it that I hope will come out in the finish. After jointing the inner edges of the two boards and tapering the opposite edges. We used a wedge jig to glue up the top. The wedge applies the clamping pressure to the joint in the middle of the top. I then used hand planes to surface the outside of the top. The next step is installing the rosette t...
A family project, my wife and I are making ours first but my fifteen year old daughter also plans to build one later. Finding cigar boxes took the longest but I happened across some cardboard boxes while on a business trip for 25 cents each and grabbed four. The only wooden boxes they had were small but I also bought a medium sized paper covered wooden box that I might later make into a ukulele. For the neck I selected red oak but plan on adding a walnut fingerboard. My wife selected a...
In this part of the series, we’ll look at making and installing the back braces, making the back, and prepping the sides for the big glue-up. In this guitar, I put in four back braces. These braces were made from 7×15 mm strips of Spanish cedar ripped on a bandsaw. The braces were given a rounded profile on the side facing up when you look through the sound hole. After cutting the braces to length, the ends of each brace on the rounded side were chiseled flat. This would ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1448 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1472 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 235 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 197 entries
- shipwright - 194 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- stefang - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 169 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries