Time for another update on the mini hand tool cabinet. These may start to come less frequently, since I am now involved in multiple Christmas Time projects as well (all of which I will post either in the Blog or at the very least in the Projects area early on in the new year). With all of the cabinet sides made, the next step I took was to make the panels for the back and for the door. My original plan was to find some 1/4” plywood for the panels, but I was enjoying using solid pine ...
By Joshua Farnsworth (Writer at WoodAndShop.com) I shot the above Video at Roy Underhill’s Woodwright’s School (original blog post is here). Bill Anderson shows how to properly use a Stanley 45 Combination Plane to cut a simple groove for use in a dovetail box or many other uses. Bill shows the basic parts of the combination plane and how to adjust them. You’ll learn how to hold the Stanley 45 combination plane to get a consistent groove, and how to avoid misshaped grooves...
Using my Stanley #45 plane to cut tongue and groove. For the purpose of this example I am using a couple pieces of pine. I am using the 1/4” Tongue and Groove irons, and have the depth on the tongue iron set as deep as it can go. The Groove depth stop is set to match this depth once the tongue has been cut. The #45 is set up with the short rods as opposed to the long rods. There is nothing stopping a person from using the long rods, I just prefer to use the short ones when I ...
Glad to have my workbench in a usable state, so I thought I’d make the first video for this blog series. In this blog entry, I will be using my Stanley #45 plane to cut a groove along the face of a board. For the purpose of this example I am using a scrap piece of pine. I am using a 1/2” cutter, and have the depth stop set up for 3/8”, as well as the fence 3/8” away from the edge of the cutter. I am using the second skate in addition to the main...
So, the top needed skirts, obviously, so time to laminate again. This time, I used 3 pieces of 1×8 black walnut. This gave me a skirt that is 2 1/4” thick, and 6 3/4” wide – after cleaning up the edges. I glued up enough blanks for the front skirt, two end skirts, and chops for both vises. I did not get very many pictures of this process, as I had plenty of lamination pics earlier….I will say that these skirts were BEEFY! And heavy. So, now I had to figure...
Decided to do the groove in the bread boards on the router table with a slot cutter bit And then to do the tounge on the end grain of the top with a rabbet bit. I often find the parallel set up bars used with the machinist vice on my bench top mill come in handy for set ups. They are 1/8” thick, so in this case two of them inserted in the groove with a feeler guage leaf was snug as a bug in a rug. This allowed me to match the rabbet bit height to groove bottom. the resu...
Hey all! It’s been a bit since I posted my last progress on this workbench, but thats not to say I haven’t been working on it. Since the last time, I managed to do some more work on the legs to get them ready to accept the rails and panels for the sides of the bench. Remember those Douglas Fir posts that I posted I think in my first blog? Well I resawed a couple of those to use for the panels, really nice wood! The posts were thick enough to get 3 full 1” boards o...
The girlfriend and I have been getting into the gardening spirit lately and planting anything and everything that will grow here in the NorthWest. With not a lot of places to plant things I decided to move to the patio for options, some planter boxes along the edge would do nicely. I scoured Google and Youtube for ideas and was disappointed with the lack of quality box plans or videos but eventually found something along the lines of what we wanted and would not cost a fortune to build. After...
Disclaimer: This blog follows my Magen David Board that is already finished and posted here Once everything was glued up into a single slab, it was time to plane it flat and parallel. one of the strips I jointed happen (don’t ask me how…lol) to be jointed off square, throwing the last 4-5 strips in the glueup off flat (mostly flat). I was tired at this point, and just figured I’m not going to rejoint it, but will pay the price and plane it all down at the cost of having a...
Fitting the lid is taking a lot longer than I thought. I had to trim the sides to length freehand as I don’t have a miter box. The grooves on the sided required trimming and deepening. Deepening the grooves was with a mortising chisel as I don’t have a plow plane. These pictures how the groove in the frame fits into the groove in the panel and the halves of the mitered bridle joint go together to make the lid. The antique clamp was my Dad’s. Shows the groov...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1541 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 94 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1566 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 268 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 188 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 170 entries