Hi everyone – this post is more of a basic check-in than a large amount of progress. The build date on this project is still not set purely because I have other projects of higher priority. Specifically, I have a Gamble House dining room table and chairs to build. So anyway. This project will be pushed along through the design process whilst that one is playing out with perhaps a degree of crossover on when it will happen. Perhaps spring 2015? Based on my observations of the original...
Before starting this project, I wanted to ensure that I fully understood the plans and all the work required. In terms of fully understanding the plans this involved reading and re-reading the article by Darrell Peart in FWW several times. I wanted to ensure I was intimately familiar with all the components, their details, how to make them and how to put them together. As I looked over the plans and went over each part in my mind I realized there were a couple of parts of the plans and ins...
Today I was a little ill and took the time to do the numbers and futz around between my initial CAD plan and the Solidworks model. At this point – if it was not immediately apparent during the CAD work – I usually start rattling out the differences between the on-paper plan (although no paper has been harmed as of yet) and the working methods I’ll use to produce the end product. This is usually an ongoing process from the initial inception of a product anyway, however by the...
Things have started to fit into place, if you forgive the awful phrasing. Specifically, I have been identifying exactly which parts of the original cabinet correspond to either fundamental components (“top”, “muntin”, “skirt”, “side”, “base”, etc.) or parts built upon those fundamental pieces such as door frame moulding. A lot of this was done by careful examination of the relatively limited materials available and basic sense checki...
I spent 3-4 hours this weekend poring over photos and videos of the original piece in situ. This is one of the appealing pleasures of Greene & Greene work and definitely one that feeds into my natural tendency for puzzles and rocket scientistism. Overall, the dimensions are not too far removed from the original which is fantastic in terms of not having to re-calculate proportioning to keep everything in check. The area the cabinet will be fitted within is 1640mm (64-1/2”) wid...
Hello everybody! </drnick> This is my opening post on Lumberjocks with a new project which I have seen done several times previously. I can squarely lay the blame for this one on Joe McGlynn, whose own derivation of the Thorsen House dining room cabinet planted the seed for my own attempt. I’m aiming to document my thought processes and decision-making through this blog, so hopefully it should bring something new to the table other than snapshots of work in progress. As of writing...
From Top to Bottom: Reed Diffuser (made in China) – where else(qty 3) hand-carved Long Sweet Acacia ChopStickin’sOnly reason I chose to show the “man-made” one was to show how close I could come to achieving a strait result. I cut the in this case small limbs of the Acacia tree, I scraped the bark off, the tape the stick to a “strait stick” I know there are a few “kinks” in them but that is what makes this project more changeling, in time I h...
Prestige design: CHECK OUT OUR FACEBOOK AND SHOW SOME Support… www.facebook.com/prestigedesign I always get a question before someone puts an order in “Can you really design what is in my mind?” My answer is YES. Then i prove it….I ask them key questions to help me understand what they want. Am i always right….NObut if i am not correct on what they want, they change their mind to the design i made The next question before i build it “how did ...
Several months ago I posted a proposed design change to the cap rail on my Fremont Bed. At the time, there was a mixed reaction to this. The bed has finally made it to the current spot on my schedule and is now ready to go the finisher. Seeing the bed in “real life” makes it easier to visualize the results. For an easy comparison lets start here with three images from my original post.On the left is the revision – on the right is the original detail While the original design...
Sweet acacia (A. farnesiana) (genus (Acacia)/ subfamily Mimosoideae/ family Fabaceae/ From Right to Left:2 ) Raw Thorns1) Double Thorns hand carved / 4 Thorns hand carved3) Hand carved and sanded As I mention in one of my other Blogs, I like to utilize the whole parts of the tree, the is one of those cases.I cut down 3 saplings, cut off the branches, I very carefully striped the bark with a utility knife.Then carefully cut the thorns off with X-acto knife, with saw blade I decided ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1832 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Shop stuff - 90 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1857 entries
- dbhost - 455 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 398 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 277 entries
- robscastle - 267 entries
- shipwright - 259 entries
- William - 258 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 241 entries
- bandit571 - 237 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries