Watch the update on YouTube here: https://youtu.be/LGO4ItpWZAM This week I talk about the progress I have made in the Gamble House Rocking Chair: • Cut mortises in the crestrail and cut it to length• Took the first steps in shaping the crest rail by pattern routing• Carved the indents in the rails and stretchers• Made the bending form for the back slats Announce that every 4th Wednesday of the month I will be doing a Live Weekly Shop Update on my YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/...
To watch the video on YouTube go here: https://youtu.be/EaLJX1dxQ7oor to my website here: http://www.mmwoodstudio.com/shop-update-june-9-2015/ In this weeks update I go over what I have completed this week on the rocking chair: • Milled up the Crestrail• Cut mortises in the rear stretcher and crest rail• Made jigs and snapped my rails and stretchers Vaccum Press Kit I purchased: Roarockit Vacuum Press: http://www.roarockit.com/ Want to know more?Follow the shop on Instagram ht...
The cabinet is in situ! We spent a few hours prepping and mounting the cabinet using four of these superlative products from Whitechapel Ltd: http://www.whitechapel-ltd.com/product//274BF4.htmlGenerally designed for bed construction, they easily have more than enough strength in terms of shear resistance and weight bearing. Amazing things. I recommend them and Whitechapel highly. So, the cabinet is complete save for the ongoing glass panel work. The world seemed to have gone through some s...
Tonight I’m replacing my weekly shop update with a Live stream at 4:30pm Pacific Time from my shop with an update on the Gamble House Rocking Chair and a live Q&A Session. You can tune here on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sjx0VWKRYI
For years I’ve wanted to build the Gamble House Living Room’s Rocking Chair. I was lucky enough to be able to visit the Gamble House and get an up-close-and-personal view of the rocker as part of my research. Since the beginning of this year I’ve been working on the sketchup plans and testing out various templates to see if the shapes I’ve come up with are in proportion and true to the original chair. I start this project in mid May and created a Playlist of all ...
Timber4fun here on LumberJocks has built a beautiful Arts & Crafts era lamp that I just fell in love with.So not to copy but try something a little different I will use his style but put a computer in it.http://lumberjocks.com/projects/93681 I scrounged 6 oak drawer fronts 6”x14”and this will be the main building blocks for this build.Just to wet your apatite here’s where I’m at right now with one of Timber4funs pictures that I went by. I had been thinking ab...
It’s been a while since I’ve updated with progress, so here’s a minor update. The last couple of weeks have been spent finessing the cabinet with tons of sanding and re-waxing. Everything is going wonderfully on that side of things as long as we ignore the tired aching hands! The last couple of weekends have been spent doing the Tiffany-type glasswork. We chose a Verrerie de Saint-Just clear textured glass (which we believe is now discontinued) complimented by a relativel...
Some time ago I made four wall sconces with Greene and Greene details. Because I have many fotos of the making this project I decided to sharing its. The first I made four sconce bases jn the table saw back side Than I made four wall bases test assembling Than making straps. The first I made radius groove in the piece on the table saw Making groove on the back side of the pieces, the first on the router, second on the table saw Making radius groove on the pieces ends. For this I...
This Thorsen House cabinet repro is probably the third large-scale Greene & Greene project I’ve worked on in addition to numerous smaller lighting items. Common to the lot of them are masses of Ebony splines and plugs. Lots of information exists on people’s own ideas of how to pillow, round, shape, soften and relieve simple square plugs. Probably the most common that I’ve come across is William Ng’s tactic of chucking up a squared and thicknessed stick and pillo...
Relatively slow progress this week as I’m juggling many things. I was unhappy with the weighting of the first set of muntins, plus I made a simple error. Nothing amazing, but it was enough to convince me to pull the muntins and start afresh. Incidentally, the muntins were surprisingly strong in situ. One never gets much opportunity to test joinery to destruction in a real-world setting so it’s reassuring to know how much integrity exists within the work we do. In addition to th...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1782 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Toy costruction - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1807 entries
- dbhost - 432 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 307 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 236 entries
- Dave Rutan - 228 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries