I spent some time today setting the ebony plugs I made in my last entry. It was pretty easy really even though I was pretty apprehensive about drilling holes in an assembled piece. Start by drilling some holes. These plugs are 1/4” so the drill bit is a little smaller at 3/16”. I drilled a little over the depth of the plugs at 1/4” I bought a very cheap 1/4” hollow mortice chisel. I flipped the bit upside down and used it to center the chisel over the...
I can’t believe how long it has been since I posted any work on this series. The Buffet/Hutch is not completed. It’s in the state that I showed last. The last post was 473 days ago. I just installed the first cabinets for the kitchen in Delaware. Old Picture. You can see my Greene and Greene Thorsten table that was entered in a LumberJock challenge. New picture. The counter top is from the old cabinet. i plan to put down Corian. I’m doing it myself so I’...
I have been making Ebony plugs for the nightstands. There are 96 plugs in this project (48 per nightstand) so I needed to make a production run out of it. I decided to do a little “how I did it” for those who might need this in the future. The plugs will be set into their square holes with the edges flush to the surface. The tops are pillowed ~1/64” making them sit proud. Each plug must be polished to give it a beautiful sheen. I started with 6 1/4” X 3/...
I have been building the drawers. Here is a jpg of the model. I started with some layout. Then I cut the fingers with a jig I made. I was left with this. I ran a rabbett down the drawer side. The drawer side fingers were left proud. I pillowed them with sandpaper. More Pillowing I was left with this.A glueup. I didn’t get a picture but I ran a dado on the sides for the backs to sit in and another all around for the drawer bottom. Here it is wit...
No it was not an offer of free wood. A posting on one of my blogs last night was a offer of most immense proportions. The offer was to allow me to use his shop and his time to work on a project for my wife. Here was his offer I immediately responded yes. The LumberJock was none other than our respected Lee Jesberger I mean here was a LumberJock that built 36 kitchens for one customer. Here was a LumberJock that built a $100,000 kitchen for another customer. He was allowing me to be h...
Well here I go. For over 40 years I have smoked real heavy. 2- 4 packs a day. I have enphasima , asma and every thing else that goes with it. they said only 20% of my l;ungs left. and still smoking. Everyone has bneen trying to get me to stop smoking and over this past weekend My oldest son and I was out talking and he said that if I would stop smoking that he would stop also. Well this is Tuesday and I havent had a cigarette sence sunday evening. I started a new wood burning and I had to ...
In my last entry I mortised Brusso knife hinges into the case. The next step is glueing up the case and then fitting/hanging the doors. Here are a few photos of that process. First I cleaned off the bench and layed the back and two sides out in sequence. The sides were already glued up in my last entry. The back has a center stile so it needed to be glued in place. That is why the back is dissasembled. Glue on the back stile tenons, rail tenons and left side mortise. Push ...
I glued up the doors and set in knife hinges this week. Here are a few photos of the process. First I glued up the doors. I sometimes have problems getting my panels and doors to glue up square so I came up with this simple jig to help with the process. It is nothing more than a couple of jointed sticks clamped square to the bench to keep the assembly square. Once I have the jig all square and secure I put two strips underneath to keep the sqeeze out from making a mess of the...
I decided to summarize the Blacker Indent detail. I don’t own a belt sander so I did this all by hand. I got a lot faster after the first couple. First I cut the indent detail using a ramped jig. (sorry, I don’t have a picture). This is outlined in Darrell Peart’s book. I marked a line 1/8” in from the edge all the way around the bottom and another line 3/4” from the bottom on all the sides. I sanded the edge up to the lines with 150 and a ...
After more thinking and feedback from the group I decided to have another go at the indent detail. I modified the jig so the indent appears only 1 1/4” above the bottom of the leg. I also adjusted the length of the indent by making the ramp steeper. The result looks like this in the scrap MDF. I also made the curve on the bottom on this scrap so I could transfer it to the leg for further shaping. Here is the first leg all shaped. I have a little more sanding to do but this...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1387 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 84 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1410 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 389 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 229 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 193 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 180 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 166 entries
- stefang - 164 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries