Timber4fun here on LumberJocks has built a beautiful Arts & Crafts era lamp that I just fell in love with.So not to copy but try something a little different I will use his style but put a computer in it.http://lumberjocks.com/projects/93681 I scrounged 6 oak drawer fronts 6”x14”and this will be the main building blocks for this build.Just to wet your apatite here’s where I’m at right now with one of Timber4funs pictures that I went by. I had been thinking ab...
It’s been a while since I’ve updated with progress, so here’s a minor update. The last couple of weeks have been spent finessing the cabinet with tons of sanding and re-waxing. Everything is going wonderfully on that side of things as long as we ignore the tired aching hands! The last couple of weekends have been spent doing the Tiffany-type glasswork. We chose a Verrerie de Saint-Just clear textured glass (which we believe is now discontinued) complimented by a relativel...
Some time ago I made four wall sconces with Greene and Greene details. Because I have many fotos of the making this project I decided to sharing its. The first I made four sconce bases jn the table saw back side Than I made four wall bases test assembling Than making straps. The first I made radius groove in the piece on the table saw Making groove on the back side of the pieces, the first on the router, second on the table saw Making radius groove on the pieces ends. For this I...
This Thorsen House cabinet repro is probably the third large-scale Greene & Greene project I’ve worked on in addition to numerous smaller lighting items. Common to the lot of them are masses of Ebony splines and plugs. Lots of information exists on people’s own ideas of how to pillow, round, shape, soften and relieve simple square plugs. Probably the most common that I’ve come across is William Ng’s tactic of chucking up a squared and thicknessed stick and pillo...
Relatively slow progress this week as I’m juggling many things. I was unhappy with the weighting of the first set of muntins, plus I made a simple error. Nothing amazing, but it was enough to convince me to pull the muntins and start afresh. Incidentally, the muntins were surprisingly strong in situ. One never gets much opportunity to test joinery to destruction in a real-world setting so it’s reassuring to know how much integrity exists within the work we do. In addition to th...
Apologies for mangling French irretrievably there just to force out a pun…. The doors presented a few logistical challenges. Surprisingly, the internal rebate angles were the least of these. The largest challenge was in the form of how best to clamp the main outer frame whilst gluing. The frame comprises morticed hinge and lock stiles with two tenoned upper/lower rails. (the mortice and tenon sizes increased in height which the drawing does not indicate) Prior to any shapin...
This blog entry was inspired by Mark Kornell’s query about my approach to waxing. I’m no expert on wax finishing and would never represent myself as such. I enjoy the learning and improvement process, and that is where I take the most reward from working with wood. Wax is a simple and easy to maintain finish which seems to live and age gracefully with the workpiece rather than trapping it in time. Furniture and guitars (my other problem) live with us as companions, picking up expe...
Not a huge amount to add today I’m afraid. The main carcase of the cabinet has had its medium sanding completed (up to 240 grit) and the first guide layer of wax added. I’m genuinely not sure whether this is a valid or efficient method of using wax (it certainly uses up a lot of it) however it produces far superior results than those from the instructions or other methods I’ve picked up. My waxing procedure is to start early. Once all the glueup and sanding that alters fo...
Hi everyone! I’ve been somewhat out of radio contact due to pressing work for my degree and working on a business startup…. Between then (when was the last post?) and now, the entire piece was constructed in Solidworks, had the bugs refined out (mostly avoiding work overcomplication and basic logistics), ripped apart and reconstructed. Very little has changed from the original dimensions and layout. The recipient of the largest changes were the doors in terms of the muntin/mull...
It has been a while sense I have posted any thing. I hope not to be a stranger. Life is crazy with all the travel and all the other stuff that I do. It seems like I only have time for family and business. Just got back from the symposium. It was their first and it went great! Met lots of new people. I think my favorite moments are when I get to meet people who have been my clients for years and I get to meet them in person for the first time. and of course seeing old friends that I only ge...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1559 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1584 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 395 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 275 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 188 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 175 entries