Back to the Green man…..jumping around finishing up the last of the actual carving, then onto a few weeks of detailing and cleanup. I will be using boiled linseed oil for the first time, I saw some basswood carvings finished with it and liked the way it complimented the grain. It should be interesting to see how the Alaskan yellow cedar looks with this treatment.
Cheekcorns and twigs are done, leaf mustache and mouth area are in the works…...
Cheekcorns, twig, and leaf are done, except for the checking on the ‘corn caps on the left side. Twig and leaf to go on the right. Back to the big dog new for the next ten days or so to detail the muzzle and face.
Eyes are done on the Green man…...
The reworking of the acorns and twigs went faster than I thought! Took one day to excise the twigs, shape the acorns and checker the caps. Finish carving the twigs went smoothly as did their repositioning and gluing. Onto the ‘Jasper’ carving next. When I come back to this I will be working on the acorns and the last of the leaf areas undone on the sides of the cheeks…..
Back to the Sawcliffe Green man and on a roll. I love doing detail work, so it always seems to go by much quicker. That being said the last two days have been productive, eyes are drawn in and the nose is just about done, along with the brows, which I connected to the large angled leaves. I began working on the very front of the forehead leaf and noticed I still did not like the shape or placement of the acorns, so I decided to take another leap into the learning experience lane. I...
More progress on the Sawcliffe Green man. Rough out will be done today, then back to ‘Holly’s Jasper’ for a week.
Got a lot done on the sawcliffe Green man through the last few days, The layering is almost done, then the detailing can continue…... Once the detail has begun I will need to be careful, as Alaskan yellow cedar seems to fracture along the grain if one is not careful….
shaped the acorns a bit more, and have come to agree with some others that they need to be shorter. I also figured out they need to set further down in the carving, the indent in the caps are supposed to fit under the edge of the leaves! Then I went back to the lower facial leaves and worked more depth and detail there…..
started working on the acorns, but something feels off even though my calipers and measurements from the drawing tell me all is correct, and I have some room for error on the nuts. So, I worked around them and will come back to them in a few days with fresh eyes and see if I can find the solution. If anyone sees something I don’t, let me know!
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1386 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 84 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1409 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 389 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 229 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 193 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 180 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 166 entries
- stefang - 164 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries