Whatever was selected for the backing material of this cabinet needed to add strength, look good and be 1/2” thick. Plywood meets two out of three of those requirements, but I just can’t fall in love with the idea of plywood in my tool till. Biggest hurdle with any other material is the work I might have to do to get it to that 1/2” thickness. I checked the remaining inventory of poplar (says Don W, and he should know) boards salvaged from somewhere, some time ago. This s...
Time to glue up. Since I painstakingly fit each tenon to it’s matching mortise, I was fairly confident that glue-up would go ok. To solve the short clamp issue, I went down to the hardware store & got some couplers to hook pipes together to get more length out of my pipe clamps. Also, I borrowed some longer parallel clamps from a friend – and I’m glad he had them! I did a dry assembly & everything worked great. It was a little tricky to do by myself, but I g...
Back at it. Since the plans for the workbench called for stretchers that are 1 3/4” thick by 4” wide, I had to get back to laminating. The rest of the bench so far has all been built with Lenga (Chilean Cherry, some call it), but I recently acquired a bunch of nominal 1×8 black mahogany that had been edge glued for width. I got it cheap (very cheap) because it was edge glued with no attention given to matching the color. The material is 3/4” thick, and I d...
I have an end grain cutting board made of purple heart and yellow heart. The blocks are squares, 1-1/8” square, about 1-1/2” long/thick, glued up with mixed patterns (making letters). The board was treated with mineral oil. It appears that the yellow heart pieces have swollen from absorbing the mineral oil, and have busting some of the glue joints. Has anyone ever experienced this type of problem? Thanks for reading and your comments. Kevin
I started on a small project tonight. I guess I got a little carried away with the clamps. Somewhere after the first ten, I just got curious to see how many more would fit. The really disturbing part is, I’ve forgotten what I was even making, and I can’t see through the tangle of clamps well enough to make any guesses! So, off to hang out on LJs…
I am really pleased with all the responses that I received yesterday on glues. There are so many different types of glue out there, that one can go crazy just trying to figure out which one is the best for the job at hand. Before I begin, I want to say that I am not affiliated with any of these companies that I will be mentioning. This was a completely informal poll that I took because I wanted to see what products that you feel are tried and true for your different gluing needs. As woo...
I have wanted to try to make one of these ornaments ever since I first saw them. They are so interesting, and everyone asks- “how did you do that”? I had trouble understanding a lot of the how-to descriptions, and even the videos were hard to follow. I found this one tutorial that I thought was good, and after about the 10th read-through I thought I’d grasped the concept.” http://www.ptwoodturners.org/Tips%20and%20Handouts/INSIDE-OUT.pdfOne of the first things I did wa...
So here it is, the final glue up. I over clamped to be safe, not in the sense of clamping pressure but as far as where I was clamping. This glue up entailed gluing all 4 sets of tails and pins with the mitered front (all the same piece) of the carcass as well as gluing in the center of the floating panel. By glueing the center of the panel I control the movement of expansion and contraction to both edges, ensuring the gaps always stay very close to the same, also keeping them as smal...
There are many parts of this project I do not want to discuss, mostly because they all involve mistakes. With this project I unfortunately made many stupid errors regarding dimensions and process of operations, but in ways that are rudimentary to woodworking. I tried to recover and hide these though thinking about the saying that being a good woodworker is not about making no mistakes, its about how well you can fix the mistakes you make. One of these mistakes came from a lack of room in...
The first rule I try to follow when using epoxies is “Don’t get any on you !” and the second one is “Don’t get any on your handles !” Basically for more reasons than I need to get into here no one wants to get it on them. The question seems to be how to avoid it. I’ve used A LOT of epoxy over the years for everything from gluing hulls together to making wooden fuel tanks, water tanks and even a bathtub and I’ve developed a number of procedure...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries