Woodworking blog entries tagged with 'glue'

  • Advertise with us
View sras's profile

Mahogany Kitchen Stool Project #16: Assembling 6 stools with pre-finished parts

07-28-2012 07:10 PM by sras | 10 comments »

After I got the parts all finished, I was really excited to do a dry fit and see how everything looked. I didn’t even bother to change into any shop clothes! As you can see, tongue position is important when dry fitting pre-finished parts. Before I actually glued up an assembly, I dry fit the stool. The corner blocks are then set in place. The tenons on the corner blocks needed a little fitting to get them into position. Pilot holes for the screws were drilled and then the sto...

Read this entry »

View sras's profile

Mahogany Kitchen Stool Project #15: Jigs for glue up

07-17-2012 04:45 AM by sras | 8 comments »

This last weekend was spent setting up the process for assembly and glue up. I had not expected I would spend this much time coming up with a glue up solution. Still, this was a fun puzzle to solve. The first step was to remove the masking tape. It took a while to peel of tape from all 244 tenons! One concern I had with clamping pre-finished parts was damaging the finish. In past times I have had the texture of any padding end up imprinting into the finish. I decided to use a smooth...

Read this entry »

View tyskkvinna's profile

Videos #5: Glü Bot

07-09-2012 04:59 PM by tyskkvinna | 16 comments »

In this video, I am doing a small demo on FastCap’s Glü Bot along with Chris. FastCap is a recent new sponsor of ours and we have done a couple of videos showing off their cool stuff. This is the first!

Read this entry »

View Sheila Landry (scrollgirl)'s profile

My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer #738: Sticking To It (or Not!)

06-20-2012 11:47 AM by Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) | 7 comments »

So far we are doing pretty good at knocking off this large order. We are now past the half way point in cutting the pieces, and I am pleased at the output rate. For the most part, things have gone pretty smoothly, but yesterday we had some trouble with a product that I have used for many years, and we are debating whether it is time to switch. One of the fastest and most efficient ways to apply the pattern to the wood with this kind of scroll sawing is by using temporary spray adhesive. ...

Read this entry »

View bigchopperoo's profile

Chair Repair

05-16-2012 11:19 AM by bigchopperoo | 19 comments »

Here is a way to fix that wobbly chair. Choose one of four different methods. Plus enjoy the BEST dance scene EVER!!!!

Read this entry »

View Smitty_Cabinetshop's profile

Wall Hung Tool Cabinet #10: Backside of a Carcase

05-02-2012 03:55 AM by Smitty_Cabinetshop | 24 comments »

Whatever was selected for the backing material of this cabinet needed to add strength, look good and be 1/2” thick. Plywood meets two out of three of those requirements, but I just can’t fall in love with the idea of plywood in my tool till. Biggest hurdle with any other material is the work I might have to do to get it to that 1/2” thickness. I checked the remaining inventory of poplar (says Don W, and he should know) boards salvaged from somewhere, some time ago. This s...

Read this entry »

View twobyfour16's profile

Workbench #5: Trestle Base Complete

04-29-2012 05:56 PM by twobyfour16 | 7 comments »

Time to glue up. Since I painstakingly fit each tenon to it’s matching mortise, I was fairly confident that glue-up would go ok. To solve the short clamp issue, I went down to the hardware store & got some couplers to hook pipes together to get more length out of my pipe clamps. Also, I borrowed some longer parallel clamps from a friend – and I’m glad he had them! I did a dry assembly & everything worked great. It was a little tricky to do by myself, but I g...

Read this entry »

View twobyfour16's profile

Workbench #4: Stretchers

04-29-2012 05:22 PM by twobyfour16 | 3 comments »

Back at it. Since the plans for the workbench called for stretchers that are 1 3/4” thick by 4” wide, I had to get back to laminating. The rest of the bench so far has all been built with Lenga (Chilean Cherry, some call it), but I recently acquired a bunch of nominal 1×8 black mahogany that had been edge glued for width. I got it cheap (very cheap) because it was edge glued with no attention given to matching the color. The material is 3/4” thick, and I d...

Read this entry »

View Kevin May's profile

Glue up problem - In an end grain cutting board, swelling of one species busting glue up

04-27-2012 02:25 AM by Kevin May | 6 comments »

I have an end grain cutting board made of purple heart and yellow heart. The blocks are squares, 1-1/8” square, about 1-1/2” long/thick, glued up with mixed patterns (making letters). The board was treated with mineral oil. It appears that the yellow heart pieces have swollen from absorbing the mineral oil, and have busting some of the glue joints. Has anyone ever experienced this type of problem? Thanks for reading and your comments. Kevin

Read this entry »

View SalvageCraft's profile

Shop Doings #1: How many clamps?

02-27-2012 12:46 AM by SalvageCraft | 20 comments »

I started on a small project tonight. I guess I got a little carried away with the clamps. Somewhere after the first ten, I just got curious to see how many more would fit. The really disturbing part is, I’ve forgotten what I was even making, and I can’t see through the tangle of clamps well enough to make any guesses! So, off to hang out on LJs…

Read this entry »

« prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 next »
75 entries

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics