Finished cleaning and sharpening Stanley hand plane, Type 19, 1948-61, bought a couple of weeks ago. Here are before pictures: With helpful suggestions from LJ-ers, removed the rust and tuned whatever I could and sharpened the original blade. I have tried it in a real project: flattening and squaring a rather sloppy glue-up for a cutting board. A sugar maple glue-up. Looks like this is the best plane I have put my hands on (except, maybe, for that one in “Woodcraft”...
The glue-ups were trimmed a bit to fit the space above the base cabinets. The walls around the cabs don’t meet at right angles though, so the right glue-up had to be cut accordingly. What is left before finishing is sanding with an ROS, grits 100 through 400. I also want to treat the edge with either a 1/8” round over, or a 1/8” bevel bits. Have to try on a scrap piece first to see which works better. Have yet to find one joint connector to bridge the left and r...
Design Considerations Watch this video to explore design considerations. Solid wood case construction must take into account wood movement. Wood expands and contracts across the grain and does not along the length of the grain. When wood is glued across grain over a long span, it will split when it contracts. NOTE: The drawer frames and the back are all pre-assembled. The back is a mortise and tenon frame which contains six floating solid-wood panels. Clamping rehearsal withou...
I had a butcher block glue up that I decided to not use for what I made it for (bar stool seats) so instead, I conceived an artistic idea for some side tables. Let me show you how I made them!
I ran into a situation where my clamping needs exceeded my clamp capacities. I did a quick video to share my solution because it might help someone else in their shop. This video is “quick & dirty” because I wanted to try recording it on my iPhone. I don’t see myself doing that again, but the information is still good and clear. I hope you find it helpful. Your friend in the shop, Todd A. Clippinger Share the Love ~ Share the Knowledge
This project has a huge mix of frustration and reward because I’m trying to be a facilitator and enable Daniel to build the guitar. It’s way too ambitious a project to simply be a teacher for, to walk him through the steps of every tool set-up and every element of design (especially when I’m learning much of this myself), and yet it’s not my guitar. So I try to encourage him to set up and do a design or a cut by himself, and then take a deep breath and accept the outco...
It was certainly full of sound and fury for about 15 minutes, but perhaps it signifies something – like me learning yet another lesson… :-) I spent most of the summer since July 4th away from home – in sunny San Jose, California. No, not a vacation, but working away on software, as usual. (Not that I didn’t enjoy the weather which was its usual monotonous perfection, but I hate living in a hotel). I finally am back home and taking a few days off. I swore I would get out in...
Back at it. Since the plans for the workbench called for stretchers that are 1 3/4” thick by 4” wide, I had to get back to laminating. The rest of the bench so far has all been built with Lenga (Chilean Cherry, some call it), but I recently acquired a bunch of nominal 1×8 black mahogany that had been edge glued for width. I got it cheap (very cheap) because it was edge glued with no attention given to matching the color. The material is 3/4” thick, and I d...
I have an end grain cutting board made of purple heart and yellow heart. The blocks are squares, 1-1/8” square, about 1-1/2” long/thick, glued up with mixed patterns (making letters). The board was treated with mineral oil. It appears that the yellow heart pieces have swollen from absorbing the mineral oil, and have busting some of the glue joints. Has anyone ever experienced this type of problem? Thanks for reading and your comments. Kevin
Here's the link for the fourth post in this series. We’re at the point where the project needs to be assembled, and the care and deliberation you take in this process is going to pay big dividends when we start to apply the finish. With a project this close to completion there is a tendency to rush things – especially if a deadline (like Christmas) is looming. However, a slipup during the assembly process makes finishing much more difficult. Comments and your own tips are ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1507 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1531 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 252 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 186 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 177 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 165 entries