I got some good suggestions in my last post about what to do with this block that I glued up from mostly reclaimed red oak pallet wood: One of the ideas I liked best was an end grain cutting board. I realized I had pics of each side of the block, so I made a block in SketchUp of the same dimensions, then slapped on textures from those pictures. It looked like this: Now I could cut that up by drawing lines at the locations where I wanted the cuts, then using the push/pull tool t...
Well, with the boards for the top cut to rough length and rough thickness, and the general layout for the top decided on, it’s time to start squaring up the lumber and getting ready to glue the top all together. I started out with jointing one face and one edge flat and square on the 6” general jointer. I set up a roller stand to the exact height on both the infeed and outfeed side. It’s time consuming, but squaring all the lumber is probably the single most important step i...
I’ve renamed my 5 preexisting project series from “project: whatever” to “00n: whatever” where n is the number of the set of posts in order. E.g. instead of “project: a rolling base for my planer,” that was the second project series I made, so now it’s “002: a rolling base for my planer.” The projects were starting to scatter in my series list, and I’d have a few series listed at the top in the drop-down for new posts, then an ...
The process of drawboring has been mostly covered but I felt like giving a few tips in case this is in your mind to do on your table. The main thing is to make sure that the holes are spaced so they miss each other and are close to the middle of the tenon (mine could have been closer). Also make sure that the hole you drill is not going to be under the shoulder of one of your rails…simple mistake that makes assembly kind of hard. Your holes should be as close to the rails as they can be witho...
Here is the cutting and dry fit of the weave pattern…I sanded the lengths on the Jet 16/32 drum sander and cut the individual piece to length using an Incra Mirtre Express..You can see the Magswitch Magnets I am using as stop blocks… one long and one short…The pieces are kept in order they are cut so that the grain orientation is maintained… this makes the illusion…Enjoy the slide show of the actual glue up…Martyn… start to finish for the glue up̷...
My cabinets will have two visible solid panels. In this blog I will show the process I use in panel glue up (for bettor or for worse). Stock Selection Although the face frame stack is quartersawn, most of the original end panels in our house are plain sawn. About a year back a neighbor game me some old growth fir. Tasty!This wood was beautiful and will become the most visible panel. I also resawed some old beams to create the stock for the second less visible panel. I left the stock...
Hello. I have just finished joining and glueing up the two doghole strips and the top slab. First I milled the 8 3/8” wide slab top to length by crosscutting it roughly and using a router with a straight bit and straight edge to square it up nicely. With the two doghole strips I crosscut them on the table saw. I was impressed to find the saw made an almost perfect finish on the endgrain. I then marked where the threaded rod will go and marked out the position of the dog holes which a...
When using a striking block to assemble joinery. Make sure to use a block that you can grip from the sides and not from the top. The below image is the “don’t” picture. This of course happened in the beginning of the below glue up…as if I needed it to be more interesting. Hope your next glue up goes well. Ryan
So here it is, the final glue up. I over clamped to be safe, not in the sense of clamping pressure but as far as where I was clamping. This glue up entailed gluing all 4 sets of tails and pins with the mitered front (all the same piece) of the carcass as well as gluing in the center of the floating panel. By glueing the center of the panel I control the movement of expansion and contraction to both edges, ensuring the gaps always stay very close to the same, also keeping them as smal...
Cora’s, a local Mexican restaurant went out of business recently. On my way back from the bearing shop with the new bits for my planer this past week I noticed a crew tearing the insides out. I stopped in and asked if I could look through their scrap pile for free wood, and as happens pretty much always here in west LA, they looked at me, shrugged their shoulders, and said “sure.” There’s wasn’t much, and nothing great, but the wood looked old, and I t...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries