Time to glue up. Since I painstakingly fit each tenon to it’s matching mortise, I was fairly confident that glue-up would go ok. To solve the short clamp issue, I went down to the hardware store & got some couplers to hook pipes together to get more length out of my pipe clamps. Also, I borrowed some longer parallel clamps from a friend – and I’m glad he had them! I did a dry assembly & everything worked great. It was a little tricky to do by myself, but I g...
After the last glue-up, and flattening the panel, I cross cut the panel in strips 1.25” wide. Taking those strips I turned them so the end grain was showing and flipped every other one end for end to create the checkerboard pattern. I am sure we have all seen Marc Spag's (aka: TheWoodWhisperer) video. (7 – How to Make a Butcher Block End Grain Cutting Board) I am sure Marc loves all of the extra attention on the subject of cutting boards. Glue up was somewhat frustrating because I...
The process of drawboring has been mostly covered but I felt like giving a few tips in case this is in your mind to do on your table. The main thing is to make sure that the holes are spaced so they miss each other and are close to the middle of the tenon (mine could have been closer). Also make sure that the hole you drill is not going to be under the shoulder of one of your rails…simple mistake that makes assembly kind of hard. Your holes should be as close to the rails as they can be witho...
At the beginning of August, with the discovery of mold in my kitchen, I began building new countertops. The wood for this work all came from my inlaws barnwood. After getting the countertops glued up, I was interupted by life (teaching, UPS, kids, divorce, and more). Where I left off, I had just gotten the sections back from a local cabinetshop where it was run through a drum sander….. Well, FOUR MONTHS LATER, what a thrill to get back into the shop three days ago. I am tryi...
So here it is, the final glue up. I over clamped to be safe, not in the sense of clamping pressure but as far as where I was clamping. This glue up entailed gluing all 4 sets of tails and pins with the mitered front (all the same piece) of the carcass as well as gluing in the center of the floating panel. By glueing the center of the panel I control the movement of expansion and contraction to both edges, ensuring the gaps always stay very close to the same, also keeping them as smal...
Hello. I have just finished joining and glueing up the two doghole strips and the top slab. First I milled the 8 3/8” wide slab top to length by crosscutting it roughly and using a router with a straight bit and straight edge to square it up nicely. With the two doghole strips I crosscut them on the table saw. I was impressed to find the saw made an almost perfect finish on the endgrain. I then marked where the threaded rod will go and marked out the position of the dog holes which a...
Bottom MoldingI cut a long piece of the African mahogany 3” wide. I original use ¾” but didn’t like the way it looked so I planed it down to 5/8”. I ran it through my router table using a Freud Roman Ogee router bit # 38362. I first cut the front piece. I used the same angles that I used on the main case. After cutting the side angles, the pieces didn’t fit based on the angles I cut them. When I glued the sides of the main case together the angles came out different from wha...
Well today I started the project. I needed to make some speaker stands for my surround channels. I thought the options online were either stupidly expensive ($500 for some 4/4 Walnut really stands, Really?) or just ugly so I decided to make my own. I took inspiration from our new couch and used the baseball stitching in the leather to create design with contrasting walnut and maple. Today I spent the day milling the lumber (Just got a new old jointer :), Bridgewood 6”) and ...
Well, with the boards for the top cut to rough length and rough thickness, and the general layout for the top decided on, it’s time to start squaring up the lumber and getting ready to glue the top all together. I started out with jointing one face and one edge flat and square on the 6” general jointer. I set up a roller stand to the exact height on both the infeed and outfeed side. It’s time consuming, but squaring all the lumber is probably the single most important step i...
You are not going to believe how simple this glue-up is going to be. Some of you will not believe it will work. Others, possibly some of the cutting board purists, will say I’m cheating. Frankly Scarlet I don’t give a damn (name that movie). This is a box top and all its joints don’t have to be impervious to water, like a cutting board. I will flood the top of the pattern with a clear epoxy finish ultimately, anyhow. These are the players in this little drama. Left, t...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1793 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 116 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 82 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1818 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 242 entries
- Dave Rutan - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 211 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries