The process of drawboring has been mostly covered but I felt like giving a few tips in case this is in your mind to do on your table. The main thing is to make sure that the holes are spaced so they miss each other and are close to the middle of the tenon (mine could have been closer). Also make sure that the hole you drill is not going to be under the shoulder of one of your rails…simple mistake that makes assembly kind of hard. Your holes should be as close to the rails as they can be witho...
At the beginning of August, with the discovery of mold in my kitchen, I began building new countertops. The wood for this work all came from my inlaws barnwood. After getting the countertops glued up, I was interupted by life (teaching, UPS, kids, divorce, and more). Where I left off, I had just gotten the sections back from a local cabinetshop where it was run through a drum sander….. Well, FOUR MONTHS LATER, what a thrill to get back into the shop three days ago. I am tryi...
So here it is, the final glue up. I over clamped to be safe, not in the sense of clamping pressure but as far as where I was clamping. This glue up entailed gluing all 4 sets of tails and pins with the mitered front (all the same piece) of the carcass as well as gluing in the center of the floating panel. By glueing the center of the panel I control the movement of expansion and contraction to both edges, ensuring the gaps always stay very close to the same, also keeping them as smal...
Hello. I have just finished joining and glueing up the two doghole strips and the top slab. First I milled the 8 3/8” wide slab top to length by crosscutting it roughly and using a router with a straight bit and straight edge to square it up nicely. With the two doghole strips I crosscut them on the table saw. I was impressed to find the saw made an almost perfect finish on the endgrain. I then marked where the threaded rod will go and marked out the position of the dog holes which a...
Bottom MoldingI cut a long piece of the African mahogany 3” wide. I original use ¾” but didn’t like the way it looked so I planed it down to 5/8”. I ran it through my router table using a Freud Roman Ogee router bit # 38362. I first cut the front piece. I used the same angles that I used on the main case. After cutting the side angles, the pieces didn’t fit based on the angles I cut them. When I glued the sides of the main case together the angles came out different from wha...
Well today I started the project. I needed to make some speaker stands for my surround channels. I thought the options online were either stupidly expensive ($500 for some 4/4 Walnut really stands, Really?) or just ugly so I decided to make my own. I took inspiration from our new couch and used the baseball stitching in the leather to create design with contrasting walnut and maple. Today I spent the day milling the lumber (Just got a new old jointer :), Bridgewood 6”) and ...
Well, with the boards for the top cut to rough length and rough thickness, and the general layout for the top decided on, it’s time to start squaring up the lumber and getting ready to glue the top all together. I started out with jointing one face and one edge flat and square on the 6” general jointer. I set up a roller stand to the exact height on both the infeed and outfeed side. It’s time consuming, but squaring all the lumber is probably the single most important step i...
You are not going to believe how simple this glue-up is going to be. Some of you will not believe it will work. Others, possibly some of the cutting board purists, will say I’m cheating. Frankly Scarlet I don’t give a damn (name that movie). This is a box top and all its joints don’t have to be impervious to water, like a cutting board. I will flood the top of the pattern with a clear epoxy finish ultimately, anyhow. These are the players in this little drama. Left, t...
Hello back again. I really don’t like glue-ups with pieces that have angles other than 90°. Strange really considering I make boxes with mitred joints. No matter, first question. Who can spot something missing from this picture This is how I found the workbench this morning. I could have sworn (and I do, a lot) that I had cut five 30mm pieces of Sycamore and theres only four there. In devon we have a special brand of pixie, called the f**kup pixie. They had obviously been in, ove...
I got so tired of fighting with glueing up cutting boards.Is everything lining up ? Is there slipping ? One clamp at a time !!So I spotted these flooring jacks in the HF catalog...and I began to wonder.I bet that I could use these to clamp cutting boards together in hopefully one shot.I haven’t tried it yet, but I will let everyone know if there are problems.I am thinking this is going to work just fine.I may need to add regular clamps at the corners, we’ll see. I did h...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1190 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 65 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1212 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 331 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 300 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 293 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- mafe - 206 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- shipwright - 160 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- stefang - 145 entries