PART 2After ABC’s “friend” quickly left, ABC started over again by using another piece of cedar. He re-drew the pattern, and started carving the bowl all over again. So, by the time that I arrived, ABC had completely re-carved his project, sanded it, and had applied 2 coats of stain as shown here. We reviewed this carving, and I explained that his techniques were excellent for a first carving project. He has followed the grain of the wood very well, and there are no signs of any problems w...
I have noticed several enquiries and comments on Lumberjocks regarding the use of a microwave oven for the purpose of drying green wood, so I want to pass along a description of a recent event that happened to someone I know. For this posting, I will refer to this person as “ABC” (A Bowl Carver), and I will let you assume that ABC is male. As a bit of background, ABC was injured in an automobile accident, and as part of his rehabilitation process I am currently teaching him how to carve. S...
A lot has to happen between cutting the joinery and gluing the panels. I had to fine tune many of the joints, repair some mistakes, and make some finishing cuts to the legs and arms of the bench. Once that was all done, I could glue up the panels. It is nerve-wracking because you only get one shot. Needless to say I did about 100 dry-fits just to be absolutely certain everything would go together properly. The glue-up went as planned without any hiccups. I had to sand most of the joints...
Entry on 1/18/2016: Watching some Disney this weekend I have come up with a name. She will be called, “Tiger Lily”! After getting some quotes from the lumber yard it occurred to me that, since I can’t get 4×10’s, I will have to scarf more than one joint to get the planking and board lengths for the 16.5 footer. This will add significant extra cost with a lot of waste. I decided to go to the 15’ version and, even though I’m losing about two feet o...
Entry on 1/15/2016: Hi everyone! I am an avid steelhead fisherman in Southeast Michigan. The rivers down here are a little difficult to drift a float like I would prefer. It’s hard to get into a good hole due to lots of overgrowth on the banks and the majority of the river being private property. My solution is the Power-Drifter from Glen-L. It will allow me to slow my travel down the river, hotshot, fly fish, or drift with a spinning combo or centerpin. I will also get some good ...
Hello fellow “woodies” I am not near the craftsman many of you likely are, but I am hopeful this community can help me find a solution to my project that I can apply. Effectively, I am building teak deck grates for an antique 1956 22’ shepherd runabout boat. the grates are going to be laid over top of the existing marine plywood subfloor and are purely for looks. I have 3/4” spacing (as well as thickness) on the grates surrounded by 2 1/2” border. Eve...
In this video I am talking about my Naval Officer’s Insignia Box, cut on CNC and the glues I use in my workshop. View on YouTube
Some photos of my workbench slab after getting a friend from work to help me move it from my upstairs apartment living room into my garage. (Well, actually, he just heaved it up on his shoulder and carried it for me. I’m SO out of shape! Thanks dude! I did make him a good deal on one of my 75” walnut slabs though, so it worked out well.) I have a lot of work to do in getting this top surface flat and relatively smooth. Airplane runway view. You sure can tell where I DIDN&...
Here is the remainder of the yellow pine that I need for my workbench. I had decided to give this thing legs and a skirt (hmm, sounds bad I know – hey maybe it’s a Scottish bench? LOL). The 2 X 12 was for the skirts on the front and the back, and the 2 X 8’s were for leg stretchers. I had 6 pieces of center ripped 2 X 10’s left over from making the top that I could use to make the legs. Still deciding whether to make a regular workbench or stay with my original plan of...
I ended up gluing inside my apartment where it was warmer. Ice and snowoutside. It is wide enough now that it won’t fit inside the glue box anyway. All 12 boards glued up. I think that I will add 2 more to make it 21” wide. Finally got a decent picture of all 14 boards glued up. Now to find help carrying it down to the garage when the weather turns nicer. It weighs over a hundred pounds. Not bad.
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 106 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 419 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries