To my amazement there has been a lot of inquiries into how I make my wine cork displays. These questions inspired me to create a series of blog/tutorials to help explain my process. They will probably go into far more detail than most of you “master woodworkers” care to see, but I’m hoping it will help those new to woodworking. I remember how valuable some of the more detailed tutorials where to me when I first started, and still are for that matter. The design is one ...
Two weeks ago, on a whim, I got home after work, sliced off a piece of smaller branch from my large pile of smaller Jacaranda branches (~2.5”-3” dia.), and turned a bark-rimmed goblet. Sorry for the gratuitous lighting :) Let’s fly into it… The inside is smooth, and today, 15 days of air-drying on my dining room table later, it still has no checks, even around the pith inside, or on the bottom of the base! Here’s my hand for some b...
After knocking out a Jacaranda bowl in one lunch break, I was a little fired up that night to do more, so I got a stick of Jacaranda from the pile and cut it into some small pieces for making tiny champagne glasses. My attempt here was to go very thin-wall. I didn’t bother with process pics (it gets a little tedious sometimes :) You can see light shining through the walls into the interior of the glass: Unfortunately, I went a little too thin in the middle. Note how mu...
Not a drinker, but I still appreciate the form of champagne glasses. I had a chunk of completely unsplit European olive from my pile of blanks, about the right length and diameter when turned to cylindrical to let me try my hand at something beyond plates and bowls, even though I’ve far from mastered them yet. I put the block between centers, turned it cylindrical, then swapped the head center for my Oneway Talon chuck, and used the tail center to support it a bit as I carved the out...
It is dyed, stained and sprayed. Now for the final assembly. There is a lot more on this project, as in final assembly, then on most of my projects. I had to add the lights in the piers, headboard and header. I usually use curio lights behind the shelves, but I wanted to try some long florescent lights this time. I am still waiting for the glass for the top and the smoked glass doors. They should be ready today and I can post the finish project. Here are a couple pictures: Fo...
Earlier this week I ended up with some scrap baltic birch ply, and cut it into squares with the band saw. I sanded the faces a bit and glued them all together overnight with Titebond III and a Bessey K-Body clamp: A little turning later: And I was starting to get a wine glass shape: That’s probably where I should have stopped. I knew that going thin-stem with the plywood in this orientation was asking for trouble, but I just kept going anyway, mad with power: ...
The finish was sprayed yesterday. It was a combination of a dye stain, wiping stain, and a protective coat. The dye stain was srayed on only. Since it was thinned with about 50 parts to one thinner, it dried in about 10 seconds. That gave me the very dark tone I was after. Some production lines use this process only for their color, but I feel it doesn’t give the piece enough depth. I still use a wiping stain, in this case Dark Walnut, to “pop” the grain. The finish...
The wall is up! I have the piers, headboard, and light bar built and temporally set up in the shop. The headboard I spent a lot of time on. It has a cut out top that slops inward and a storage section in the lower section in the headboard (see pictures below). I’m going to do something really cool with that storage section so keep watching this blog. The light bar was straight forward, but I had to figure out how I wanted the canopy to attach later and where the mirrors would actua...
This project is something a little different. It is a bedroom wall unit, not a murphy wall bed, but one with piers, headboard, mirrors and a light bar. The kind where the bed just sits in front of it. The twist on this one is I will be adding a canopy to it. This will be a canopy like the old waterbed style, with the mirrors in the top. I’ve built both the Accent style wall unit and the canopy in the past, but have never combined the two. I’ll start with a style that I built before an...
After so many of my fellow lumberjocks had so many helpful bits of advice about my new glass door cabinet design, I decided to go back to the “drawing board.” We decided to shrink the cabinet down to 50 so I could stay in the 2×4 rule. I think it made the cabinets proportions better. We also decided to go with raised panels on the bottom doors. I didn’t draw it but the cabinet will have a back like my previous project. I think this gives your pieces a quality that no p...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries