Well, after three days in solitary, I decided to pop the the weasel. The different boards fumed to different tones, but I think with shellac and brown furniture wax, it’ll be just non-perfect enough for some charm. The wood putty had no tannins in it, so it’s almost white. Luckily, one corner is perfect, so that’ll be the one facing out. I tried my Dark Fumed Oak aniline dye, and it didn’t work on the putty either. I even brushed the liquid ammonia directly on...
So, today I ran over to Plywood & Lumber Sales in Oakland, CA and purchased about 100 board feet of quartersawn white oak. I finally have enough lumber to do the dining table. I’m going to start with the top and get that finished so I can bring it into the dining room and set it on top of my old table. This will get rid of the MDF table top we’ve been using for months. It’ll also let me use the MDF for more important things like jigs. I also abhor the tablecloth we&...
After letting the glue cure overnight, I took it out of the clamps and gave it a final hand sanding. Not too bad, but could be better. I think next time I’ll err on making the legs touch on the outside corners instead of a flat meeting. This caused some gappage that I filled with putty. Since our dog laid down by the tent, I figured it was time to fume. There’s no better time than the present. I carefully put the tent over the table and then propped them both up en...
At the urging of my girlfriend, I fumed a small scrap of QSWO and then went over it with amber shellac and dark brown wax, buffing it out with 0000 steel wool. It’s pretty magnificent. As a result, I decided to give my Limbert table an “authentic” Stickley finish. While waiting for the glue to cook, I fashioned what can only be described as an impromptu fuming tent. Even one of my neighbors came over to see what monstrosity I was building, as they’re usually ...
I was able to get back out into the shop and make some progress on this project. This was my first foray into template routing. I can definitely see the power of this technique. I was able to knock out the inside, decorative cuts on all four sides and they’re identical. They need almost no sanding. The slight errors in the template were the only problems on the finished sides. It took only a light hand sanding to fix those. I didn’t have too much trouble with wood grain, ...
Thanks in large part to WhatTheChuck, I’m giving serious thought to changing the design of the underbody of the table. With all due respect to Schroeder's table, which I prefer the looks of in many ways, I think the lack of a footrest underneath is a good thing, and the spindles underneath are magnificent, yet kind of a waste of time, energy, effort, and lumber as they’ll be hidden by chairs. I think the trestle-style design might be more pragmatic, and still embody the simplici...
So, we decided that 72” was a bit overpowering. I yanked the pseudo-top out into the garage and cut a foot off, and then to preserve the Golden Ratio (we just watched a documentary about the Parthenon), cut the width down to 37”. This size is much better, and is more amenable to placing a Limbert Lamp Table or sideboard in the dining area. It seats six comfortably instead of eight, but we’d rather setup another table or TV trays instead of having a monolithic table 24/7. ...
So, between TreeFrogFurniture.BlogSpot.com and Robert Lang’s book “More Shop Drawings for Craftsman Furniture”, I decided that the corner of our dining room could stand an accent table. TreeFrog has built two different styles, so I “borrowed” the plans for the one I liked (he posted them online) and made my first template. I’m going to wait to make the interior template until I have the shell complete. The angles make things a bit messy. Like Tre...
The first installment of this blog is here due to LJ blogging technical issues… To make sure the dimensions are correct for our new table, we decided to do a little test drive. It didn’t hurt that we’re having eight people over for a Fourth of July BBQ. We ran over to the big box store and bought a sheet of particle board for $29. When we got it home, I cut it down to 45” x 72”, the finished dimensions of the table top. After I sanded it and eased the edge...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 107 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 80 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 420 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries