I made a fishing pole rack that holds 7 poles. I go over construction detail as well as how this will be mounted on to the wall. Watch the video HERE and make sure to subscribe!
Hello again friends. Ok I know this bench build has been a little anticlimactic because you have seen the bench put together a million times. But this should be my final post on this bench build… maybe… I got the finish applied, added leather to the vices, and put a hand wheel on the wagon vise. After testing out the finish on scraps I decided to go with 1-1-1 (MS, Poly, BLO) on most of the bench. I sanded it into the top with 220 grit sandpaper to fill the pores some. J...
Ok folks we have some momentum going here and have made some real progress lately. We’re getting close to the end. So the idea is, flatten the top, glue and bolt on the tool tray, then plane to tray to be coplanar with the top. First I chamfer the dog holes, I do this again after flattening. I figure I want to avoid spelching when planning the top by chamfering them beforehand. I’m not ashamed to say I used a routah (Norm accent) Patched a couple of holes from when this top wa...
Hello again folks. Here I am in the home stretch. I say that but I know there are still a bunch of details left. I decided to go with drawbored Mortise and Tenons with no glue. The splayed legs on this bench make it incredibly stable as is so it’s not necessary at all. I also won’t have to worry about glue not curing well in the cold weather. The idea of not watching the clock during glue up is pretty nice to, especially on an assembly his size. The hole stress free thing is true in the...
I’m surprised at how much progress I’ve made since the last blog, especially since this part was pretty hand tool intensive. The following is the process I went through the make the lower shelf. I had a bunch of rough sawn Red Oak that was perfect to use up on the shelf. I’m done making furniture out of Red Oak so I really wanted to burn through it all with this bench build. So I got a nice workout two days ago with the wooden Fore, Scrub, and Stanley #5. I got these boards fl...
Welcome back to my blog series folks. Thanks for following along on this long journey of mine. It’s hard to believe I started cutting up the parts for my top in January. It’s taken me almost a year. However there were some detours taken along with way on other project. I’m in the home stretch now! I needed a hub for the screw. One of the luxuries of making your own screws is that you can make the hub out of any wood you want. I went with some QSWO I had left from my stretchers. I think ...
Hello LJ Buddies, Here is my most recent progress. I’ll let the pictures do most of the talking. I previously milled the grove on the underside of the bench. I cut a rabet 3/4” in from the front and glued on a 3/4” tenon. This was cut by hand. First had to perfect the fit. Laid out the design with a wax pencil. Bandsawed the curve then cleaned up with a spokeshave. After drilling the holes and cleaned the Jatoba with Acetone and glued on the tenon an...
Back again friends, Ok, the next step is the make a wagon vise out of this screw I got from Lee Valley. Thanks to PurpLev for the inspiration on his blog:http://lumberjocks.com/PurpLev/blog/17919 First I jointed one side of the boards for the end caps then ran it through the thickens planner, etc… Next since the wood in the wagon vise recess had warped since being cut I had to trim some wood off using my #78, #92, and a chisel. I even used the front bullnose portion of the 78...
Hello Friends, I’m long overdue for an update so there are a lot of pictures. I’ve made quite a bit of progress but the ending is not so happy I’m afraid, after reassembling the parts last night I discovered an error I will have to fix. The great thing about woodworking is that almost anything is fixable, it’s just frustrating. You’ll see what I mean at the end. As usual, I’ll let the pictures do most of the explaining: Cut the shoulders on the angled te...
Workbench Build - Splayed leg French Bench #1: Top&Legs Jointed, Starting to layout the Wooden Screws.
A while black I posed a forum topic asking for folks advise on how to use this piece of wood for a workbench. A cabinet maker I bought my band saw from gave it to me for free. It was made from two slabs from a green oak tree so it cupped pretty bad. It had been used as a table for a restaurant. After assimilating everyone’s advice I decided I would cut out the piths, re-glue the top and use it to make a French workbench like Roy Underhill does in one of his shows. I love the splayed...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1198 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 67 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1220 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 333 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 294 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- mafe - 208 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- shipwright - 160 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- stefang - 145 entries