The project for my photographer friend is coming along, at least far enough to bother documenting it. He’s fallen in love with making ambrotype images. He’s got all the developing equipment in a dark room setup in his garage, and he’s asked me to make him a portable dark box that will enable him to develop images anywhere. His idea is to start a side business doing portraits at conventions, fairs, and whatnot. I decided that a frame and panel box would be fun to try, s...
This project is a few months old, but I’m just now getting around to writing this blog. I came up with a novel method of carving intricate shapes with a router, and I thought it was worth sharing. I’m probably not the first to come up with this technique, but I came up with it on my own without really seeing it anywhere else. The background: My wife wanted to make a large chalkboard to hang in our dining area, so I cut a large piece of cheap hardboard (30” square) and we ...
I finished all of my cutting yesterday. That was a big plus. Cutting out nine plaques of this type in under two days was an accomplishment that I was satisfied with. I had initially hoped that I would have these all oiled and finished by today, but as usual, things came up and I need to sand and oil them today. I should have better pictures tomorrow. I am pleased with these designs. While they are not really difficult, some of the motifs do present a little bit of a challenge. I think...
Also, video blog is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEzqKl-QOwA&feature=youtu.be I was looking for some photos and saw this – very old, and remembered that long time ago saw rare architecture, sculptures and houses in Riga. I always liked how the tree with impression of the ages looks. It reminded me my childhood, when my grandfather was making different things in «old style». The more things changed, the more they stay the same – and in this time «old style» ...
Couple weeks ago I have been making some progress on the frame. I did the clay on the part that will be water gilded, red everywhere except on the columns which were ocre. I also started the gilding with 23K gold until I run out of gold. I received it recently and will soon carry on the gilding. I will try to do videos to show the process, especially for the balls which have a nice neat trick. The balls also receive yellow then red
Me and my schoomates are learning how to carve (fore some of them it’s new). We are making lost parts of rocoque painting frame. As first we made studies and clay models.My schoolmates: This is my test piece (not final):
I posted a picture of a Craftsman Style Frame i made and i thought if anyone was interested, i have a two part video series of how i did it. The main jointery is the use of a half lap. It’s a simple and yet strong joint. I decided to show how to make it using both power tools and hand tools. Hope you enjoy it.chad stanton
I always feel like I just won the lottery when I acquire something for free. This is probably the nicest free thing I have ever snagged. It is made by ULINE and is a solid butcher block top with metal frame workbench. I really like the adjustable height. I am taller than most and develop back pain when working on normal counter height benches or surfaces. With the optional drawer these things retail for over $400 brand new! It is 60” long and 30” deep which is a great size for my ...
Here is my process for cutting the inlay shown on Glen Huey’s mirror frame. First I used a 2-1/8” forstner bit to cut a hole for the template. The template is made from 1/4” mdf core plywood, and a couple 2” wide strips of mdf on the underside. The underside of the jig is shown here. The mdf strips trap the 3-1/2” workpiece, and center the hole. My walnut stock was less than 3-1/2” wide, so I wedged it in place. Here is the jig and the route...
With the blade cut and drilled to length, and the frame shaped and finished (BLO) it was time to add some tension to the frame to pull on the blade. I was toying with some ideas, and ended up getting an IKEA steel wire hanger as the tension control. It’s quite simple, and uses 2 threaded ends one left hand one right hand, both pulling on the wire: Putting tension on the blade using this method is not as easy I was hoping it would be and requires a pin to roate and thread those...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1692 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 69 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1717 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 402 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 286 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- stefang - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 203 entries
- robscastle - 196 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 190 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries
- Dave Rutan - 189 entries