Some time ago I posted a blog about a dovetail joint I came up with. I call it the radial dovetail. It incorporates handcut dovetails, but rather than using the traditional 1:8 ratio for the dovetail angle for hardwood, each side of each tail varies and is drawn from a perspective point. Then the sides of the box were contoured to blend with the dovetail design. Here’s a picture of the nearly completed box. It is made of curly maple, Carribean rosewood, and hickory.I like to think of t...
Cherry Chest Update Well I got to squeeze in some time out in the shop and work on the cherry chests that are being built for the Annual Quilt Show in Sisters, Oregon. They will be on display at The Clearwater Gallery. I could not resist the new LumberJock CyberToolShare s feature, so I hopped on the internet late one night and borrowed Tom’s Festool Domino. I used the Domino to assemble the frame and panels into the final box. The Domino was amazingly quick. So quick, that I...
Well, here it goes…the long story. On my last tour to Iraq I was stationed at Balad AB, the largest FOB (Forward Operating Base) in the AOR (Area of Responsibility). I was in charge of a 110 person security team known as the FPs (Force Protection). To make a long military story short (since this is a woodworking site, not a military site), my team was responsible for the security of the entire base both inside and outside the wire, and a lot of stuff happened that made us a very tigh...
This weekend I managed to finish the chip carving on the frame. I dry fitted the frame to make sure the corners carvings would all line up together. As you can see I carved the frame unassembled because of its overall size. The carving time on ths was 7 hours total. The edge designs 1 1/2 hrs. , Sleds 1 1/2 hrs. , Dates & diamonds 1 1/2 hrs. , Rope 2 1/2 hrs. The pieces have been sent on to my friend and next week I’ll put the frame together.
With the blade cut and drilled to length, and the frame shaped and finished (BLO) it was time to add some tension to the frame to pull on the blade. I was toying with some ideas, and ended up getting an IKEA steel wire hanger as the tension control. It’s quite simple, and uses 2 threaded ends one left hand one right hand, both pulling on the wire: Putting tension on the blade using this method is not as easy I was hoping it would be and requires a pin to roate and thread those...
I picked up today where I left yesterday. today however, I had a bit more time to work on this. I printed the face frame design/layout from Sketchup, and out to the freezer we go: I added the 2nd piece that makes up the back (had to use 2 pieces of plywood as I don’t have 1 large enough part for the back), and then I noticed that my plywood carcass is a bit out of wack- the back aligns with the left side, but the right side is a bit lower, ah crap, I guess I’ll have to shim...
The following are gateways to project/blog/forum postings re: the identified topic(more coming soon) LumberJocks’ Projects/Skills Gateways Bandsaw Boxes Benches Birdhouses Bookshelves Bowls Candle Holders Canes Clocks Coffee Tables Cradles Decks Doors Entertainment Centres Frames Guitars Hinges Jigs Kids' Projects Pen-Making Planes Sanding/Sand Paper Scrollsaws Toys All LumberJocks’ GATEWAYS Safety Tips ...
Using my previously made SketchUp model I made a full sizes printed template using the following steps: 1. Setting up a Parallel view: The default view in SketchUp is “Perspective” which allows us to view things in 3D which looks ‘real’ due to the perspective view but for printing we want to be able to see the drawings in 2-D as if they were printed on a flat paper (which is what we about to do). In order to do this you need to go to the menus under “Camera...
When I returned to woodworking several years ago my nephew had been talking about a particular style of “coffee” table he’d seen online somewhere and was describing it to me. Since he’d just announced plans to marry, I told him I’d make him, and his fiancée, the table as a wedding gift. He showed me some online photos of the table, which I used as the basic, general design plan. The joinery I chose is original but the style was taken from the photos. This piece is the result: ...
Well Dusty and I talked about the broken and fractured stained glass panel. The panel was insured for material costs but definitely not the 70 some hours that were taken to make the panel. Previous blog Dusty’s #5 starts here. First blog starts here. I didn’t start on making the frame for the stained glass panel because I wanted to make it to fit the actual glass panel. Since we had a delay. The breakage and the filing for the insurance claim, I thought that I’d make the frame to mat...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 107 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 80 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 420 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries