The last few days I have been milling and producing the frame parts for this frame and panel construction tool cabinet. The frame and panels are placed on the back of the case and the four doors on the front on the case; the two small doors on the top that cover adjustable shelves and the two large or long doors below. Inside these two long doors are seven drawers on the right side of the case and several adjustable shelves on the left side of the case. The drawers consist of a large o...
In this episode I take you step by step through the building of the frame and panel back. We cover setting up the rail and stile router bits, sizing the panels, and cleaning it all up. http://www.justsquareenough.com/2014/06/walnut-hall-tree-part-3.html
In this episode I give a tour of the base, talk about its construction and give some details on the router bits used.
This past weekend I did a pretty massive and ridiculously stressful glue up. It wasn’t as bad as I’m making it sound but with how long I’ve been working on this chest of drawers, I just wanted it to come out square and solid. I’m pleased to announce that I was successful. Because of the magnitude of this glue-up, I didn’t bother taking any pictures. The biggest part was gluing the outer frame with the panels in place, and then while all of that was safely clamped...
Ever hear the expression, “you are what you eat?” Well, the day I decided to do this, I must have eaten a whole box of ding dongs. For some strange reason, I decided to figure out what I wanted to do with the back, before I started with the front. Why? Well, I don’t know. .....Instead of doing what any sane person would do, I chose to make the back, just like I made the sides… Frame and panel. Seriously… I know it’s going to be up against the wall but, mayb...
My Dad came and visited me back in June and he helped me get started on this. I bought the porter cable router 7518 and a nice big raised panel bit to go with it. I thought I would start by building the panel first and then the frame around it. The reason I did it this way was because I didn’t want to go and buy more and more wood without using what I had so I took two of my more wider boards, cut them in half lengthwise, and edge jointed them to make two panels. I don’t have any ...
I finished painting my patio planter boxes today. I like the way they came out. Thanks to the mortise and tenon, and panel construction, they are very sturdy. The were a lot of dadoes, mortises, tenons, and trim to cut for this project, but it was a lot of fun fitting all the pieces together. The colors are Martha Stewart’s “Monk’s Glove” and “Chianti” from Home Depot. Working on these in my garage attracted a lot of attention. As I was fi...
Hello. Since my last entry I have made the tongue and groove joints for the bottom, but since I have yet to get the nails to attach the bottom, I will post about the bottom later. I have made the lid for the chest though. A friend had let me borrow his mortise chisels so I could make the mortises for the lid joinery. So once I planed the rails and stiles to size I began laying out for the joinery. The lid for the chest is a special kind of frame and panel where the panel itself has a gr...
The Stumpy Nubs Workshop #19: "Raise your panel!" Who knew you could do THAT with a hand plane + another contest!
I don’t know why anyone would want to skin a cat, but I hear there is more than one way to do it. The same is true with raised panels, you know, the ones we use on all our fancy cabinet doors… So this week Stumpy tries to make one with nothing but a Stanley #4 hand plane… ...then he decides to make a machine to do it for him! Before all is said an done we have a new jig that does far more than it was originally intended to, and Stumpy is telling us the next best thing ...
I’ve been progressing on the door more consistently than I’ve been posting on this blog. Tonight I hope to catch up with myself. The edge strips of mahogany have been glued to the cores of the rails, the interior stiles, and the interior edges of the long stiles. In order to maximize yield I did not use full-length strips of mahogany. Instead I used shorter lengths, being sure to locate the ends where they will be covered by the coped end of a rail or stile. In several plac...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1828 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Shop stuff - 86 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1853 entries
- dbhost - 452 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 398 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 276 entries
- robscastle - 263 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 258 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 233 entries
- bandit571 - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries