I built a planter last summer and my sister in law asked me to make her one so I did as a favor for babysitting lol…with a few aesthetic differences.. I designed hers with the planter walls constructed with vertical pieces of 6×1 I made mine with horizontal pieces…. ... The frame is constructed of 2×2 wethershield lumber..to be honest the whole pieces is made from Home Depot brand Wethershield lumber Here are a few images of how I planned the project on ...
Time for another update on the mini hand tool cabinet. These may start to come less frequently, since I am now involved in multiple Christmas Time projects as well (all of which I will post either in the Blog or at the very least in the Projects area early on in the new year). With all of the cabinet sides made, the next step I took was to make the panels for the back and for the door. My original plan was to find some 1/4” plywood for the panels, but I was enjoying using solid pine ...
Another house project. We’ve wanted to frame a large piece of my daughter’s artwork. The cost of frames is a bit higher than me making one out of an old drawer front found on the curb. I’ll be doing the matting as well—a new skill to be acquired!
You would think that the last thing that I want or need to do is to take on more projects. Being a designer, my day to day existence is filled with projects and the process of creating things. I work in many different medias ranging from wood to painting and now even to textiles and needlework. There are times when I feel a bit overwhelmed by all that I have on my plate. Why, on Earth would I choose to try to do even more?I believe the answer can be summed up in one word – c...
Hi! the first project I’d like to share with all yall this year is this bow saw I made. I was given a bow saw kit from Gramercy tools. Knobs, brass blade holders, 3 – 12 ” saw blades. They have the plans for free on their website…. however, like many of us, I can’t just go with someone else’s standard or ordinary set up. So I did a google search for bowsaw, and selected “IMAGES FOR *” and got thousands (well maybe only a hundred or so) of...
In the process of building the base, I did what I do best… I screwed up. This time the screw up was adding incorrectly. After a little discussion with my fellow LJ’s, I decided to cut more lumber and start over. I ran a bunch of lumber through the planner. While I have this connected to my dust collector, I’m amazed how much shavings still end up on the floor. I felt half laps would provide me the best strength and support for this project, especially since the planer and drill w...
I’m continuing with restoring wih restoing of rococo frame. We are with schoolmate unbonding and removing glued parts because joints are broken. Frame is consisted of 3 layers. I will be difficult work. Also top part is missing so I have to find some similar design. Here are some photos.
The project for my photographer friend is coming along, at least far enough to bother documenting it. He’s fallen in love with making ambrotype images. He’s got all the developing equipment in a dark room setup in his garage, and he’s asked me to make him a portable dark box that will enable him to develop images anywhere. His idea is to start a side business doing portraits at conventions, fairs, and whatnot. I decided that a frame and panel box would be fun to try, s...
This project is a few months old, but I’m just now getting around to writing this blog. I came up with a novel method of carving intricate shapes with a router, and I thought it was worth sharing. I’m probably not the first to come up with this technique, but I came up with it on my own without really seeing it anywhere else. The background: My wife wanted to make a large chalkboard to hang in our dining area, so I cut a large piece of cheap hardboard (30” square) and we ...
I finished all of my cutting yesterday. That was a big plus. Cutting out nine plaques of this type in under two days was an accomplishment that I was satisfied with. I had initially hoped that I would have these all oiled and finished by today, but as usual, things came up and I need to sand and oil them today. I should have better pictures tomorrow. I am pleased with these designs. While they are not really difficult, some of the motifs do present a little bit of a challenge. I think...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1561 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1586 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 395 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 276 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 188 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 175 entries