Now I said in my previous blog, about the hinge on this box, that I probably wouldn’t make the hinge quite the same way again. But I was very happy with the way the inlay worked and that is worth repeating. So, this is how I did it. The first thing that I needed to do was pick the size of the forstner bit that I wanted to use. I chose 35 mm (about 1 3/8”) because it just felt right in proportion to the size of the top. Then I marked the centre of the top which is the centre...
This week life intervened and I didn’t get much work done on the bench. Just before I left on my trip I started to drill the holes in the side rails. I started by using a 3/4” auger bit in my drill press. Unfortunately I didn’t plan this step quite as thoroughly as I have done for the rest of this project. Mistake #1 not trying this technique on a pice of scrap first and instead drilling into the bottom rail of the workbench. Mistake #2: Not clamping the rail down to the ta...
Hi guys, look what kind of trouble you have all put me into: 777 days and $57 later, this is where I am now. Buying expensive drill bits. And I’m loving it! The guilty one concerning the purchase of this monster 3 1/4” Forstner bit is Al, aka Boxguy, because of this . He made me realize that jewelry drawers can be as simple as a round hole in a wood chunk, which made me redesign a part of one of the jewelry boxes I’m currently working on. Hence this mon...
Ok so here is the blog to go along with my lastest project. I really wanted to do something in the shop from start to finish yesterday. I was cutting up some wood I got from work due to storm damage and decided to cut a few otherpieces that have been floating around in my garage for a while. A bandsaw box is something I have been wanting to really try for a while (made a few experiments) So here is the process I took from a fresh log. Sorry did nto get nearly as many pics as I guess I should ...
I splurged on a couple of new toyls this week: Picked up (had shipped…) a set of forstner bits: a band clamp (see overall pic above)I want to do some of the EZ Mitre boxes, and figured a band clamp would be useful for them! and an expanding collet chuck for the lathe: hey, I’m a Photographer… gotta play a little bit dontcha know… Thanks for looking, gotta dash off to work in a bit.
Marking out the mortises – shallow chisel cuts on outside edges and nail punch the center so forstner bit will center correctly. 3/4” Forstner bit works well. Chopping the corners out with a 3/4” chisel. Works well. Close-up of one mortise at the beginning cuts. Initial fit for the first set of mortises. Pictures of the mortise/tenon fit. Much better (less gaps) than the first box I made recently. Inside corner. Outside corner. One...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1793 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 116 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 82 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1818 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 241 entries
- Dave Rutan - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 211 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries