Design Considerations Watch this video to explore design considerations. Solid wood case construction must take into account wood movement. Wood expands and contracts across the grain and does not along the length of the grain. When wood is glued across grain over a long span, it will split when it contracts. NOTE: The drawer frames and the back are all pre-assembled. The back is a mortise and tenon frame which contains six floating solid-wood panels. Clamping rehearsal withou...
Looks like I went the slow route on my recent (and first) frame and panel doors! Might as well get an autosander, too.
Here’s my most boring time-lapse yet – sanding up the cabinet doors to flush the rails and stiles, and prepare it for finishing. Speaking of… something I’d heard whispered around here a few times came to mind the other day while trying to get extremely gummy stickers off the maple I used in this project: mineral spirits. It says right on the can “for cleaning surfaces in preparation for painting.” I wiped some on, and just like goop-off, the sticker goo wip...
When we last left off, I was about to glue up the first cabinet door. Here it is clamped and drying: Here’s a detail (the wet marks at the left are just from wiping out glue – they dried up and disappeared): And because time-lapse videos are so fun, here’s the glue-up of the second door: And now the finished doors. Well… finished gluing together. Now there’s still sanding and coats of whatever I decide to use. I’ve been thinking of de...
For the doors, I had a look through my stock piles, and this board, a 1/4”x8”x4’ tulip poplar plank – picked up at Home Depot months ago simply because it was so unusually pretty – really spoke to me. The picture makes things a lot more yellow than they are in real life. It’s loaded with purples (which will probably fade in time to brown), browns, greens, yellows, and lots of gradients. From those dimensions, I built a Sketchup model of the doors ove...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1385 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 84 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1408 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 389 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 229 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 193 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 180 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 166 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- stefang - 163 entries